Need 2 files advice

Mark Barone

I need to files right now, one to work on the hidden tang where it butts against the blade and another one to file out the guard tang whole. I am hoping to spend less than 50. I do not know anything about files. Am I looking for a certain type, like diamond or carbide tip.

At one time I would have told you to purchase only Nicholson files, but they have gone the way of most....and their quality has gone down accordingly.

For the blade/tang juncture, I'd recommend a mill bastard in 8-10" length. For the guard hole..... a 4" flat mill bastard. You could likely find them both at Ace Hardware if you need them right away.

What I've done over the past couple of years are these..... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-M...X0UHis6IiVBDYOc7WWEaAuOZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I know it's controversial, but this set has a lifetime warranty..... I initially purchase two sets, kept the receipt, and when they wore/wear out, I take them back and get free replacements under the warranty..... since purchasing the initial two sets, I am now on set #12 replaced under the warranty.....just do yourself a favor, make a slit in the package and put the receipt there....so you have it when the files wear out.....and they will. Some folks have expressed disapproval with me returning them for new ones under the warranty, when they wear out......but since they are labeled as "Lifetime Warranty", and the folks at Home Depot telling me that the warranty includes them wearing out......I don't have a problem with it.

Last edited:
Go on ebay and look up NOS (new old stock) Nicholson files. That's where I get all my files and most of them are between 10 and 20bucks. Just make sure they are American made and check the seller has good reviews. If I want out of this world files I buy them from riogrande.com. But there also real expensive. You need good sharp files flat files for cutting the shoulder in on a blade if that what your talking about

You need good sharp files flat files for cutting the shoulder in on a blade

TEACHING MOMENT!!
If you are using a file guide for the shoulders on hidden tang blades..... one thing that is your enemy is excessive down pressure on the file! Instinct is to push down hard on the file, trying to make it cut more/faster..... but what happens is the file flexes, and you end up with a slightly rounded shoulder on the knife.....just enough that when you try to fit the guard, no matter what you do, there is a gap on one or both sides. If this happens, put the file guide back on....exposing just a tiny bit more of the shoulder(s) then what you did previously. Then with as little pressure as possible, make forward cutting passes only....DO NOT DRAG THE FILE BACKWARD...THAT JUST CLOGS THE FILE AND DIGS DEEP SCRATCHES IN THE WORK PIECE. Keep taking those forward/cutting passes until you feel NOTHING being cut, and the file slides as if on glass. Do this, and you'll be surprised at how cleanly, easily, and gap free your guards will fit. ;)

Last edited:
I will second on the downward pressure. I ruined a knife when I was putting a lot of downward pressure, and little did I know that my file guide was slipping. Filed away a full quarter inch of material before I realized what had happened.

Ok I will reread the posts and order a few. Thanks Ed for the teaching moment, I will let the tool do the work. I had to start a new KITH but I am happy with , it’s a bit smaller. I’ll probably start a new thread on it if I have success with the bevel.
As far as the slot in the hole guard...….. What I did was take a good file and grind all the sides off except one and bring the thickness of the file down to like 1/8" thick. I have several files that I Have modified for gaurds.
That’s a nifty idea

Back