My take on Bob Kasper's Scorpion

John Wilson

I don't make tactical knives as a rule. There are plenty of guys out there doing tactical knives, who do them extremely well. Usually, when someone comes to me asking for a tactical knife, I refer them to a maker who does them. In this case, a very close friend wanted one from me based on Bob Kasper's Scorpion. I made a few changes and this is what I came up with.

This particular knife is going to Washington State, and the client told me that double edges are verboten, so I made the top edge false.

Double Edge Fighter

Blade: AEB-L
Handle: Black Paper Micarta with mosaic pin, black and white liners, and integral striker pommel

IMGP0681.jpgIMGP0684.jpgIMGP0686.jpgIMGP0700.jpgIMGP0701.jpgIMGP0704.jpg

Wow, I never have seen the original version but that is a beauty. I am truly in the right forum to see new things to learn from.
Is there a tapered reduction between the thickness of the tang and blade?

Hi Walt,

The pictures make the tang look a lot thicker than it is. It's 1/8" AEB-L. That "reduction" you see is just a swept plunge line on the top bevels. It seems like a reduction in thickness because that top edge has a "flat" instead of a sharp edge. (I had to do that because the state the customer lives in won't allow double edged knives, per the customer.)

The top bevels and bottom bevels don't meet until about halfway to the tip, leaving that triangle of full thickness which runs out, tapering to the tip.

Last edited:
Back