My Playhouse

This is my 2nd forge I built. The first was a one burner venturi design, which I soon converted to forced air.
This one is a bottom mounted ribbon burner. I wanted to get good even heat thru out the forge. Was tired of burning my metal. I also like the even heat for making Damascus. 20190521_200043.jpg

Attachments

• 20190521_195855.jpg
    20190521_195855.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20190524_184916.jpg
    20190524_184916.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20190526_113841.jpg
    20190526_113841.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
Peppie, that's a NICE shop you've got, and I'm really impressed with the forge. Did you build it? I agree, a blown burner is MUCH better than a venturi burner. BTW, what part of the world are you located? Fill out rest of your profile, we LOVE to read about members.

KenH.... yes I built the forge. I am very pleased with the way it turned out, and how well it works. I tried to post a video of the "swirl" in action. But the file was to large for this site.I am very impressed with how evenly the metal is heated while in the forge. It has also greatly reduced the amount of scale produced.
I will update my profile.
I am located 8n Bonney Lake, Wa Not far from Seattle

I'm really fascinated with your forge.
Is that your own design?
Is that all castable refractory?

I'm really fascinated with your forge.
Is that your own design?
Is that all castable refractory?
I have seen a couple bottom burner forges on another site. But I did put my own twist on it. The door design is mine. The angled ports in the ribbon burner was my idea. I didnt want the burner to point directly up and blast the side of the forge. I also built a short wall between the burner and the material area to keep any debris from getting into the burner ports.
The floor is a layer of 2 1/2 soft fire brick with a 1/4"-3/8" layer of Mizzou refractory. The shell is lined with 2 , 1" layers of 8lbs koawool. Covered with a 1/2" Mizzou refactory. Then I painted on some 900 plaztix (sp).
I can run forging temps at 2 psi, and weld at 5psi.
The complete top assembly will lift off the floor to have easy access for repair, redo, or even to enlarge the forge area for a larger project.

About how long does it take to get up to welding heat?
If I crank up the fuel and air mix to 10psi...?? 10,maybe 15 minutes. But then I need to back it down to 5 psi. I dont often crank it up like that. 9nce I find the sweet spot to the 5psi fuel and the correct air flow input, I keep it there. Less fiddling with the air. So at that setting 15-20 min. To get the inside of the forge white hot

Reactions: Owl
2 years ago I started build a deep interest in making knives.
My space is limited, 10X14 forge area. Had to do much planning, and a crap load of cramming. Still need to find room for the soon to be delivered tire hammer.View attachment 71290
See some totaly bear basic 3rd world youtube clip of blacksmiths /knife workshops ie a bit of dirt yard / fongs (flipflops?) Grand kid pumping a total basic bellows a few bits of scap steel anvils & hay your a business,they'ld be million ere's in your / or my workshop...

Back