My NWG Build

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I started to build a NWG, So far I have the main body welded together(yeah, yeah I know I did not have to weld it:D).

Next comes paint, finding 4 bump knobs, adding the spring, bolting up the tensioner, and then getting the pillow bearings, wheels, swivel arm, and motor.

I will keep updating this as I go along. I just thought of it tonight otherwise I would have started form the beginning!!

Hey Ern.
Since your welding it, I would go ahead and drill a hole and weld a nut for the threads where the bolt holds the tool arm attachment in place. The plans call to drill and tap a hole there but welding a nut will give you more threads .;)
Good luck.

Hey Ern.
Since your welding it, I would go ahead and drill a hole and weld a nut for the threads where the bolt holds the tool arm attachment in place. The plans call to drill and tap a hole there but welding a nut will give you more threads .;)
Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up Tod, I already tapped the tube though.
I welded this up at work, so now I am pretty much done with the welding.

I have a welder but the darn speed control broke!!

Sounds like you have a good start man. What kind of motor / drive setup do you plan on using?

I went out and bought myself some cheaper tools - drill press / sander to get a shop set up at home. I got a smaller belt sander to tide me over and until I can get mine built. I'm still up in the air on what kind of motor to use / where to buy it, and also what kind of drive setup. As of right now it looks like it will be step pulleys with a 1725RPM or so motor. I need to buy a contact wheel too.

Here's a picture of what I have so far. The two round pieces are the drive wheel and idler wheel. They aren't done being machined yet.

parts.jpg

Sounds like you have a good start man. What kind of motor / drive setup do you plan on using?

I went out and bought myself some cheaper tools - drill press / sander to get a shop set up at home. I got a smaller belt sander to tide me over and until I can get mine built. I'm still up in the air on what kind of motor to use / where to buy it, and also what kind of drive setup. As of right now it looks like it will be step pulleys with a 1725RPM or so motor. I need to buy a contact wheel too.

Here's a picture of what I have so far. The two round pieces are the drive wheel and idler wheel. They aren't done being machined yet.

I am going to go with a 110v 1725 rpm motor and step pulleys.
In the future I want to run a variable speed motor!

Ok, Ok.............

Here are a couple pics of it so far, Tomorrow I am going to sand the little bit of surface rust(I hate the humidity) off it and spray it down with a coat of self etching primer!!

011-13.jpg

010-11.jpg

Thanks Everyone!!

I was goingto shoot the primer on it this evening after I mowed the lawn but then the clouds decided to roll in.
Maybe tomorrow!!

Good looking build! It looks really familiar! Your gonna be kickin yourself in the arse saying, "why didnt I build this thing sooner" the first time you go to grind on it. I know I did.

I would second the opinion to weld on nuts for the extra threads, I didnt and its a pain in the rear, I just haven't got around to adding them.

Yeah I will see how it goes, If I have to I will weld nuts on later!

Thanks so far everyone, I am very excited to finish this. I have a long way to go but hey its worth the wait.

Here are a couple pics of todays progress.
I had to paint it my favorite color of course:D, I used Engine paint..............
So this baby is good to 500 degrees:eek:

07012010080.jpg

07012010079.jpg

Back