My latest try at stamping

Not bad at all. Just keep practicing. Heres how it will turn out with a little more practice. KT

Attachments

• 1943.jpg
    1943.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 1944.jpg
    1944.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 82
Hellgap, thats not bad at all, basket weave is one of the most difficult stamps to master and even then mistakes are a missed hit away.

KT, that is gorgeous! Almost looks like an inlay.

Kelly, Don't worry to much if your stamping isn't perfect. I'm always striving to get mine better.
Try getting the leather to it's pefect case and your stamp will be more krisp, the leather should brown slightly when stamped and the imprint will be more even. Also look for a good border stamp, it will clean up your borders and make your stamping more pro looking. Check stamping is all about moving your stamp a certain distance without changing angle and hitting it the same each time. The smaller the stamp the more diffecult it is to run. ( when it's strait in two directions like KT's, it shows your skill)

Lots of practice on scraps will get you in a rythem. RS

Hellgap dont worry you will do great. I have been doing this for about 6 years and all I can say is practice, practice , practice and all of a sudden you will be a lot better than me. I still practice with all types of stamps trying to get better. I,m 70 and will probably start getting worse.KT

Last edited:
Wow I woulda thought youd been carving and stamping 30 years Ill have to say you just have the natural tallent for this. I appreciate the kind words ya all kellyw

When I was 14 my family moved to Indiana where basketball is everything. I spent an entire fall, winter, spring, and summer shooting baskets at an old goal someone had put up over an old rickety garage at the farmhouse we lived in. When the next basketball season came around I tried out for the team. Everyone was amazed at my shooting prowess. I could hit shots effortlessly from any place on the court. Unfotunately, because the driveway in front of the old garage was dirt and often full of ruts, I never spent any time dribbling the ball. I was taken on the team, but almost always shot as soon as the ball was passed to me or passed off. The thing I learned was that practice or the lack thereof can make all the difference.
Besides, your stamping isnt all that bad.

Sorry for being so wordy.

Hellgap and others. Let me stress I'm not trying to sell anything here, in fact I don't even have any to sell, but my third DVD entitled "Tips From a Master" is available from Chris Crawford. It goes into great detail on stamping and carving and the very easiest way to accomplish perfect results. It also covers a whole lot of other subjects which have been found to be invaluable to new leather craftsmen.

I could go into detail here but it would take pages of typing and on the DVD you get to see the actual methods explained and demonstrated in great detail. It includes pattern making for odd shaped knives, sources for tools, equipment, and instructional literature, and countless other tips too numerous to mention.

There is a link to Chris Crawford's web site below in my sig line should you decide to use it.

Good luck and good tooling!

Paul

Last edited:
I do think all three of Pauls vidio's would be a real investment in yourself. There are a buch of good books out there but I think a vidio is way easyer to learn from.
The cool thing about Paul's 2 vidio's is that they target knife sheaths, thats what we're trying to master here.
I've got one, and the other two are on the list of must have's.

I have never watched any of Pauls viedos or any one elses but I know Pauls work is as good as it gets. He and Sandy are the MASTERS. KT

I've been struggling with the stamping carving part of leather work, can't seem to do a good basket weave.
I have Pauls "basic pouch sheaths" video and I think it's time to invest in "Tips from a master" I need the structure, and guidance.

KT
Your user name is misleading.
The volume and quality of your work is mind boggling, I'm 62 and concerned that I don't have enough time and energy to attain my goals, but you are right,
PRACTICE,PRACTICE, PRACTICE

Thanks for the encouragement

Mark.

Nice work but I noticed the anvil be carfuly the iron will react with the leather like vinageroon dye does.

I find that basket weave stamping looks better when done on an angle vs horizontal/vertical. It's easier on the eyes and just seems to flow better. Laying down the starting line involves simply dividing the stamped area equally with an angled line and then starting on it working each side till you get the line done. Then filling in from there. When you get close to your edges, angle the stamp so it fades out towards the edge. Then, come back through with a camo stamp (looks like a sea shell). This will seperate your stamping from the rest of the sheath with a nice scalloped border.

Also, make sure the area to be stamped has been cut sufficiently with a swivel knife. This allows the leather to be stamped without stretching the face letting the stamped area sink down below the surface of the rest of the sheath.

Do you think I would benifit from buying one of those geometric grids to establish an angle pattern and straight. ???

Back