My "first" one again WIP???

Eaglewood

I made a couple of knives our of the big old thick hacksaw blades in the past-- they were nothing to brag about but were kinda cool.
So after hanging here for a while and going out to HHH shop quite a bit, I have the bug. So Randy gave me an old blank chewed up he had and a block of some stabilized material. Here is the progress so far. I cut out the blank to the shape I wanted, sawed the block into scales and am going to try and add some meteorite in this as well on the handle.

So will post pics as I go-- Kinda a WIP if you will.

DSC06728.jpgDSC06726.jpgDSC06727.jpg

Wish me luck!!!

WOW I believed everything until you said he gave you the wood,LOL The rest i can swallow. Good start cant wait, Randy's thinking(how do i get that wood back) Sorry Randy just could not help myself.

Ok guys-- well after a little help and direction from Randy-- (Thanks BRO!!!) Here is the finished piece--
Decided against the meteorite-- for THIS one-- but stay tuned!!!!!

P1010827.jpgP1010815.jpgP1010817.jpgP1010818.jpgP1010819.jpgP1010820.jpgP1010821.jpgP1010824.jpgP1010825.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,
Randy is a great teacher for sure. He says I am a quick learner too so I guess that helps!!.
We both give all the Glory to God for enabling us with the talents He has given us so that makes the time spent together that much more rewarding.

Clay,
Modesty is really cute....sometimes. But, this knife is a real beauty! The attention to detail is awesome! And if I might ask what type of liners did you put on it, they are beautiful!!! Rex

That knife looks like it's ready to slice and dice just about anything in the kitchen. Is that a hollow grind on that blade? Whatever, you did a great job on that knife. The stabilized something looks great too.

Doug

Great pics Clay, The knife is a real work horse.. I cut some stuff up yesterday with it after adding the final edge and it slices and dices and well. Its nice!! The grind is a true flat grind. The stabilized wood is Quilted maple. and no matter how nice it looks in the pics. Its 10 times better in person! :)

The liners are custom laminated white, black, white. One of my special combinations.. ;)

Um....wow. Very nice. Looks really good.

I'm jealous on many levels. The fellowship would be where its at for me.

Eric

So I did good???

Ya think? Remember what I said about modesty, it's ONLY cute....SOMETIMES, this aint one of them times!!! I'm thinking you need to stop fooling around with hammers and dive head first back into knife making, you have got either, incredible natural talent, or what else could it be? I guess Randy could be the best teacher on earth...and maybe you got lucky...not likely, on that. Beginners luck, maybe?.... NOPE! You have some serious talent, I really want to see some more, and real soon! Wasted talent is an awful thing, especially for those of us who had to work for it! Great looking knife, and I didn't mean anything negative about your hammers, their cool too, which shows that you are very talented in many ways, speaking for myself, the only reason I got into knfemaking is because, "I had to", I know that sounds silly, but honestly the bug to make knives would hit me, and I'd read everything I could get my hands on, study everything I could find, BEFORE the internet was available. I would study and read and then start looking into buying equipment, and finally decide it was too expensive, and slowly talk myself out of it, which would last anywhere from 3 months to a year. This went on for over 10 years, I couldn't justify it while working 2 jobs and running a small farm. But there I'd be right back with this...urge...obsession...I can't put a name to whatever it was that had me gripped so tight, it was like I was compelled to make knives by something....does this make any sense to anyone? It still doesn't make any sense to me, BUT, it is like there is something right in my world since I started, like I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, which still sounds like a bunch of hooey. I'm not a mystical type of guy, not into any off the wall freaky stuff, just a regular guy that more than anything enjoys learning, knifemaking does quench the thirst for knowledge. Does anyone else relate to what I've went through? I've always wondered about that, I guess the question I should ask is, "What got y'all to making knives?"

I don't mean to highjack your thread Clay, but it's pretty clear to me, that YOU should be MAKING KNIVES!!! That is really a beautiful knife, and now that I know that the liners came from Randy, I'll be getting in touch with him on how to make them<hint><hint> Randy, can you hear me?
Rex

Back