My first blade

soundmind

KNIFE MAKER
This is my official first blade and about 10th handle. The pros are outweighed by the cons. It's one I'll not polish up, but use.

One success was the taper. It was forged in. As a users knife, I like it's piercing ability. I got right through some brisket this eve for dinner. It didn't just pierce the joints but even bone (cooked) in that area. Another positive was the guard fit. Thanks for the file guide, Gene. It's not absolutely perfect, but it's clean...probably next time.

On the down side, the hand sanding got away from me and I got it thin enough in some spots to ruin the profile. Started out with a 4" blade - ended up with about 3' cutting edge.

Steel is coil spring and blade was mirror polished. Patina is already developing from use.
Handle is a little piece of moose tine, 1/4" G-10, and 1/4" brass. Peened butt plate. Heavy knife but comfortable and serviceable.

Attachments

• 129_1837.JPG
    129_1837.JPG
    521.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 129_1839.JPG
    129_1839.JPG
    641.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 129_1841.JPG
    129_1841.JPG
    419.6 KB · Views: 47
Congrats on No. 1. Nice choice on the materials. Way better than my first. Keep grinding and the knives will get better and better.

Thanks you guys. I hoped the choice of materials would work out.

I've built about 10. This is the first blade I shaped Heat treated and finished.

Super nice guard and pommel fit up I would be proud of that. My first few knives were forged from leaf or coil springs. They still work great but are VERY prone to rusting. I found that if you leave a forge finish on them they are far less likely to rust. When you start to use known steels most simple steels resist rust better than coils and leafs. Again, great job.

Man, that looks great. Looking forward to the time I can forge in a taper like that. Very impressive. Congrats!

Thanks folks. Its good to know I got some things right on it. But man still a long way to go.

When I first got into knifemaking a friend hooked me up with a maker in his hometown. That maker helped me build my forge and sent me home with steel, handle and guard material. I felt like I owed it to him to finish something out of what he gave me.

Nice job, if you stick with it it will become a passion to keep getting better and build knives you never thought you would...or could. Keep at it!!

Very good first knife but for a bit of constructive critique.
I see the blade as being a bit narrow for the handle size, depending on the intended use of course.
The plunge line angle may not offer the best visual

This is my official first blade and about 10th handle. The pros are outweighed by the cons. It's one I'll not polish up, but use.

One success was the taper. It was forged in. As a users knife, I like it's piercing ability. I got right through some brisket this eve for dinner. It didn't just pierce the joints but even bone (cooked) in that area. Another positive was the guard fit. Thanks for the file guide, Gene. It's not absolutely perfect, but it's clean...probably next time.

On the down side, the hand sanding got away from me and I got it thin enough in some spots to ruin the profile. Started out with a 4" blade - ended up with about 3' cutting edge.

Steel is coil spring and blade was mirror polished. Patina is already developing from use.
Handle is a little piece of moose tine, 1/4" G-10, and 1/4" brass. Peened butt plate. Heavy knife but comfortable and serviceable.
Great job on number one! Congratulations!

Back