My Daughter is my apprentice

sgmtino

My daughter is homeschooled and I recently started back making knives after a 7 year Hiatus. She has shown interest in knifemaking and I have started teaching her , we are using this as her shop class. She just turned 15 and is doing very well. I taught her how to draw out her design and lay it out on the steel, then she learned how to cut the blade out on the bandsaw. Next we scribed the centerline and laid out he holes to drill. She is a little intimidated by the grinder so I am helping in that area. I told her the next knife she would grind. Well she wanted to embellish it with filework so i laid it out showing her how to file and I must say I'm a very proud father this is literally the first time she has ever filed anything.Its not perfect but a great start. I have attached pictures below

Attachments

• NCM_0273.JPG
    NCM_0273.JPG
    464 KB · Views: 25
  • NCM_0274.JPG
    NCM_0274.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • NCM_0275.JPG
    NCM_0275.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
I praise anyone who in this mad mad mad world helps, teaches his own children to do anything worthwhile.
Good luck to you both.

Robert66

I told her if she keeps it up she can do all the filework

ha ha ha.

Your kids will soon leave you for other things, dads do not have a good time when their own 'baby' daughter flies to coop, make the best of her company now before her own little ones take over her life

and yours, I kid thee not. lol.

I speak from experience.

I have a 24 year old also. I know i enjoy the time we have and she does too. I want to teach her the things I had to learn on my own . I told her the other day I was teaching her stuff that I had to learn without any help. She will be better than me someday and possibly start her own path in knifemaking.

Back