My 1st Slip Joint

Bruce Barnett

Gday folks,

This year, before heading back to Australia after the Blade show, I was fortunate to be able to spend some quality time with 2 of the ABS’s finest in Bill Burke and Bruce Bump.

I spent a week with Bill forging and testing/destructing 52100 and making mosaic damascus and then took a drive up to Bruce’s place for a week to learn slip joint folder construction and how to make the feather pattern in damascus.

Here is my 1st the slip joint constructed with Bruce with the blade from a loaf I did with Bill. It is also the first folder I have pinned & peined with no screws. Bolsters and liners are 416 stainless and scales are mammoth ivory.

Special thanks go out to Bill and Bruce for their guidance and a fun time.

Attachments

• 100_7377.jpg
    100_7377.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 117
  • First Slip joint 001_edited-1.JPG
    First Slip joint 001_edited-1.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 104
  • First Slip joint 006_edited-1.JPG
    First Slip joint 006_edited-1.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 118
  • First Slip joint 008_edited-1.JPG
    First Slip joint 008_edited-1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 109
Bruce, Nice & wharnie for the first 1. You should be proud2thumbs
Now it probably needs to go to Newcastle for leather pants & a holiday;);)
Again well done.
mitch

hey ya Bru C. Nice looking knife. glad I could help. You do know that it is tradition to send your firsts' to your teacher out of respect and gratitude don't you? And since the steel is the heart of the knife !!

Hey Bill,
Never been a big follower of tradition. Its a keeper that one as both my stamp and my stencil were too big for it. Not worth anything without ones name on it. Anyway, all good things come to those who wait;)

Bruce, the finished knife is really nice. pretty cool to see it during work and now.
The damascus sure sets it off. Robin

Toss a coin as to who gets that knife, Me or Bill. Ya cant change tradition. :D

It was so much fun having you here for a week. We dont get many Aussies here in Walla Walla. We're putting a shade over the skylight if you come back next year. :D

Last edited:
Bruce, very nice work there. I can see that your teachers are vying for the ownership of your first.:D. That is a huge compliment in itself.

Thanks for sharing

By the way I'm also a "BB"2thumbs

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

Back