Mosaic Pins

Denny Eller

Could anyone please give me a source for small square tubing and pins to make my own mosaic pins? Also, what do you guys use for a filler in the pins and how do you get the different colors - black and red etc.? Thanks, Denny

You can probably go direct to the K&S site to get them also. K&G supply has the epoxy colorant to use to color the epoxy. If you have an model airplace supply shop in a city near you would probably have them. Our OKC shop also have some of the tubing in 3 foot lengths that are cheaper than the one foot ones. It is easier to try fit some of the parts at the shop so you will know which one will fit inside the one you want.

Last edited:
I just used oil based hobby paints from the hobby store to paint models to tint my epoxy. Trick is to find some really thin epoxy that is slow in setting. I used a vacuum pump to bring the epoxy up through the straws along with some clear tubing.
Chris

Use thin epoxy, like the self leveling type for pouring bar tops. Use epoxy dyes, as the use of model paint can make the epoxy improperly harden sometimes. The tubing can be found at hardware stores, model shops, hobby shops, and online. Like mike said, it is best to go where you can test fit the pieces.

Here's a great trick:
If your name is a mirror image letter ( A H I M O T W X) you can make a mosaic rivet with your initial in the center. It may take some creative pre-assembly, using super glue or tacking he parts together at the ends with solder, but once in the tube and resin filled, the effect is stunning. For example, My "A" is made from a "V" channel that I squish a bit and trim until it fits the round tube. Then I trim a piece of flat to fit where the cross bar of the "A" will be. I put the "V" in a bed of modeling clay to hold it, set the cross bar in place, and apply a few tiny drops of super glue to hold it there. Once set up, I slip the "A" in the round tube, mix the red resin up, and sock it up the tube by putting a piece of plastic tubing over the end. When the epoxy is about 3" up the tubing, I remove the rivet from the epoxy cup, quickly plug the end with a little ball of modeling clay, and hang it from the tubing to dry.

Stacy

Thanks a million guys. You've given me a lot of info to get me started. Or I should say to get my wife started. She has the artistic touch and this will keep her out of my hair. That is if I had any hair

Back