More "non-knife" fun...

Drew Riley

A while back I showed you guys a bottle opener project I'd been working on... well, here's a second project I've been working on alone those same lines:

8644519994_e2214e11d9.jpg

I've been calling it "the brews-a-fix" (though it's just just for opening brews!)
This one is made from 6Al-4V titanium, and is 1" wide by 1.75" long and 1/8" thick.

As you can see, I beveled the long leg of the brews-a-fix, in an effort to give the tool a little more function than just a pendant/keychain and a bottle opener.

8644403958_b6b6d582e2.jpg

One thing I will mention about the function as a cap lifter, due to the shortness of the top of the cross, it takes two lifts in order to fully remove the average cap. You CAN use the longer side over the cap to lift it in one shot, but it does take a little more effort in my opinion, although it's not terrible.

With the beveled leg, you can also use the brews-a-fix as a pry tool:
8644402432_cc8294da3b.jpg

It can also be used as a flat head driver:
8644402816_d75dd1da7e.jpg

or also a can tab lifter:
8644404262_c36354b81a.jpg

(heat anodized brews-a-fix shown)

It can also be used as a tape cutter for opening boxes:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8643306991_ee16d653a1.jpg

and even as a split ring opener:
8643307947_5c0a358780.jpg

And believe it or not, it even functions as a 1/4" bit driver:
8643306563_84594668e6.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with out the opener/tool came out. It rides very nicely on a keyring, or even a necklace or lanyard, and it's quite functional to boot!

Thanks for lookin' everyone!

That is a sweet looking tool !!!

Any thought to what you would charge for one out of Ti ?

BTW I have just watched a few of your UT videos and picked up a lot of info.
I have been wanting to make an oven to heat treat my knives. I have a few Watlow controllers and other temp comtrollers sitting around, but did not know it would be that simple to make an element. Have you made the DVD yet you mentioned in the at video? I'd like to know where you got that element wire and how you made the channel in the bricks for the element.

Nickso,

These tools are made out if titanium. 6al-4v to be precise.

As for the oven, I unfortunately never got around to finishing my tutorial. I had a write up about 75% done when I unfortunately lost the file. :-/
Since then, I haven't really had time to rebuild it.

I cut my channel into the soft brick using some threaded rod as a saw. It cuts VERY easily.
The wire I got from an online supplier. Just do a search for kanthal element supply and you should get several results. I don't currently recall where I got mine. Any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back