Memorial Day Check-in

Dennis Morland

KNIFE MAKER
Tomorrow is Memorial Day. Lets see what you will be working on. For me, a couple of full tang 8 inch hunters. Hardened, tempered and working on the bolsters. I will cut the bevels on a 7 inch fillet in 440c. I will rough bevel and heat treat a 6 inch hidden tang hunter and a 4.5 inch hidden tang hunter in 1075.

1-F1-BEB43-B120-4-B9-B-A26-A-3-AE6-C127-E550.jpg

D4191239-887-B-4053-B9-E8-9172-B8-CE05-B4.jpg

Tomorrow is Memorial Day. Lets see what you will be working on. For me, a couple of full tang 8 inch hunters. Hardened, tempered and working on the bolsters. I will cut the bevels on a 7 inch fillet in 440c. I will rough bevel and heat treat a 6 inch hidden tang hunter and a 4.5 inch hidden tang hunter in 1075.

1-F1-BEB43-B120-4-B9-B-A26-A-3-AE6-C127-E550.jpg

D4191239-887-B-4053-B9-E8-9172-B8-CE05-B4.jpg
They look great Dennis!

Looking good Dennis! We have out of town guests coming so most likely any knife making will consist of a shop tour.

Looks great Dennis BBQ today but was in the shop last night with one ready for hand sanding.The one you sent me ended up looking like a tooth pick twice! But now I got a better handle on things and will redo it :/

That is clearly “Sharpie Damascus”.

Technically, it’s sharpie San mai. :D

I have to ask what is the purpose of the sharpie on the blades? Does it serve any special purpose or is it just so you can remember what’s what?

It helps to see when all the lower grit scratches are gone. Most of these are plungeless, so I grind them lengthways. The marker also helps me make sure the bevels are perfectly flat. I’m almost to the point I can do the plungeless knives with little to no hand sanding.

Technically, it’s sharpie San mai. :D

It helps to see when all the lower grit scratches are gone. Most of these are plungeless, so I grind them lengthways. The marker also helps me make sure the bevels are perfectly flat. I’m almost to the point I can do the plungeless knives with little to no hand sanding.
Gene, please post some pictures of your plungeless Knives when they are ready for hand sanding. I have been thinking about maybe doing some plungeless grinds that are not kitchen knives and I would like to see them if possible. Thanks

Gene, I too would love to see how you do your plunge less grinds. I've been thinking of trying some on the next kitchen knives I do.
Add me too the list of “wanna see’ems” Never thought about gringing them vertically. Working on some plungless steak knives and it’s kinda tuff staying out of the ricaso.

Back