Mechanic knife

aelgin

I have a nephew that is graduating high school in a few months that is a gear head. I'd like to make a shop knife for him to use as an auto mechanic. What do you guys see as the most useful knife style for a mechanic?

A tanto with a relatively steep angle to it. Not quite 90, steeper than 45. Good for scraping off gaskets and whatnot.

If it's a fixed blade knife, I'd make it pretty thick and I'd have a provision for striking the back of the handle.

Not saying make it like a full on chisel, but I wouldn't do any sort of easy to damage material towards the back of the handle.

Handle needs to be grippy.

Also needs a guard. No beano when you're hand slips and you get cut.

Edit: I meant "No bueno", but I think "no beano" is kinda funny, so I'll leave it.

Something with a straight edge would be good for gasket scraping, stripping wires and cutting hoses. with maybe a screwdriver tip.
and tough enough to be used as a mini pry bar if needed....because it probably will.
and G10 handles to resist gas and oils.

I was thinking a straight edge with a tanto or chisel point.

A tanto with a relatively steep angle to it. Not quite 90, steeper than 45. Good for scraping off gaskets and whatnot.

If it's a fixed blade knife, I'd make it pretty thick and I'd have a provision for striking the back of the handle.

Not saying make it like a full on chisel, but I wouldn't do any sort of easy to damage material towards the back of the handle.

Handle needs to be grippy.

Also needs a guard. No beano when you're hand slips and you get cut.

Edit: I meant "No bueno", but I think "no beano" is kinda funny, so I'll leave it.
I'm leaning towards 1/4" or 3/16" 80crv2 full tang with the bottom of the tang proud of the handle scales. Probably g10 with a little texture for traction.

Muchas gracious.
Muy beano! Haha

Back