Making the Serrata...

Discussion in 'Knife Dogs Main Forum' started by zackerty, Mar 27, 2013.

1. zackerty

zackerty Member

My name is Stuart Ackerman...

In 2006 I started making investment cast 440C knives...

Here are some pics from the first batch being cast...

The ceramic shell surrounding the 16 wax knives.
    [​IMG]
    The shell about to be baked, and the wax melted out.
    [​IMG]
    The 440C steel melting,
    [​IMG]
    The wax melting out.
    [​IMG]
    The ceramic shell placed on sand, ready for the liquid steel.
    [​IMG]
    Waiting...feed me!
    [​IMG]
    Steel kisses the shell.
    [​IMG]
    Almost filled.
    [​IMG]
    One hour after the steel was poured.
    [​IMG]
    Glowing....
    [​IMG]

Then I started to play around with the basic shape and grind new profiles for testing...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a group pic of the bead blasted blades...before heat treatment...
    [​IMG]

And some testing with the first tester...
    New 12mm hemp rope, oil and dirt soaked 12mm hemp rope, 18mm hemp rope, 8 tonne Spectra rope...

The normal VG10 steel blade did about one eighteenth the cutting of the cast 440C. It would slice paper roughly, but not shave hair off my legs. ( My arms are bare...)
    The 3mm normal steel was sharpened on the med grey ceramic Fold-a Vee...
    The 5mm cast steel, on the DMT med Diamond...
    Both blades would shave print off a telephone book page, without piercing the paper...the normal steel a bit cleaner...
    The cast steel cut the ropes faster, and with less effort, and lasted much longer...and will still slice shavings off a piece of oak plank, whereas the normal steel will start to slice, and then choke up.
    The shavings below are a small proportion of the three shopping bags full of various rope shavings...
    [​IMG]

And some finished ones from the first batch...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. zackerty

zackerty Member

And today's version...
    [​IMG]

3. Frank Niro

Frank Niro KNIFE MAKER

Very interesting, and what a huge project !. You must know that David Bowie sold investment cast 440-C blades years ago. I did buy one or two as well as the bars he sold. Your process may give better metelurgical results than his. I found that the cutting ability of this material increased about 10% over regular 440-C with a proper heat treat and true cryo treatment. I'm sure that Elmax or M390 of today would out perform the 440-C cast of that time. Frank

4. zackerty

zackerty Member

Thanks Frank...
    Yes, I know all about Boye and his knives...I do not know his HT for his Dendritic range...

I worked out my process over a few years and I have tried casting other steels to see if I could improve the edge...somehow 440C seems to be the best...

If I was rich, I would try them all, and who knows...also, I have a wife who watches me like a hawk...:biggrin:

Sal Glesser of Spyderco has now licenced my process for his version of the Serrata...:5:
    I am due to receive a prototype for comparison testing with my own Serrata...

5. rhinoknives

rhinoknives Well-Known Member

Stuart,
    Very interesting work you are doing here.
    I also have one of the folders from Boye and have always been interested in the idea of casting knives but never had a place or the money to do it.

I commend your work and congratulate you on your working with spyderco knives.

I have always wondered about casting any of the CPM steels and if their composition would give any increase in prolonged edge retention?

Keep us posted!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013