Making a huge custom

Mike Carter

Here is the 3rd and final part of the video of making the knife, including fixing my screw-up.

[video=youtube_share;kseQ7SOOAds]http://youtu.be/kseQ7SOOAds[/video]

Frank Hunter

Whoa that's a serious knife! Gorgeous work. I can't say enough, the finish, complex grinds, very awesome project!

rhinoknives

Well Mike! You have exceeded my expectations! It turn out better than I thought!

I called my wife over to see from the kitchen as she is making our dinner. She said WOW!!! that is some knife! I had her come look a few times during this video explaining the knife and the technical terms for to understand what you are doing.

She is my Inspector General! She critiques my knives when they are done, But doesn't spend time watching me work.

You! My fellow maker have passed inspection by the Inspector General with flying colors!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:

Mike Carter

My wife does the final inspections too. Where would we be without our ladies?

Of course the FINAL approval comes from the buyer. He should have it Monday.

Ironlath

My wife does the final inspections too. Where would we be without our ladies?

Of course the FINAL approval comes from the buyer. He should have it Monday.
Roger that, I'm spending my 50th with my Lady! Mike, you have outdone yourself again! I greatly appreciate your efforts with this and ALL of our previous projects. Ladies and Gents, an excellent heavy chopper with plenty of weight to do any survival chore requiring a HEAVY DUTY tool! Beautiful job my friend. My utmost gratitude!!

Ausbrooks

KNIFE MAKER
Thanks for the videos Mike! Enjoyed them quite a bit- great job on a monster chopper and you make it look so easy! Good recovery on the broken stem...that's real world knife making there-you have to be able to recover well when things don't go exactly as planned- well done!

Mike Carter

Thanks everyone. I like a challenge it was that. Ironlath always comes up with something interesting for me.

I was starting to feel like Les Stroud; work a little, move the camera, work a little more. This is the first time I have made a video of a project from start to finish. It was something of an eye opener. Of course I didn't film evrything, just a few minutes of each step. I still wound up with 6 1/2 hours of raw video that I edited down to about 40 minutes.

v-6

The films were great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing , i learned a lot.
v-6

Denny Eller

Absolutely awesome piece of work, Mike!!! Thank you for sharing those great instructional videos of the process. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Tom Militano

KNIFE MAKER
Heck of a job, but I don't want to mess with whoever carries that monster. Unless I missed it, how much time do you have in that knife?

Mike Carter

I don't keep close track of the hours. It's too depressing to know how little I make per hour. Actually, I usually work on more than one knife at a time so it's hard to track. I would guess I have around 40 hours in that one including redoing the handle after I snapped off the cap stud.

B

Bush Monkey

I give you credit for undertaking the monumental bandsaw task. I would have gone to or sent it off to a waterjet.

rhinoknives

I don't keep close track of the hours. It's too depressing to know how little I make per hour. Actually, I usually work on more than one knife at a time so it's hard to track. I would guess I have around 40 hours in that one including redoing the handle after I snapped off the cap stud.
Yes! This was a great instructional video you have made here and my wife even became interested and wanted to watch the whole thing!
Yep! It can be depressing sometimes if you track the hours! lol.
I love it when customers ask, How long does it take?? For my Large Chef, I say anywhere from 8-10hrs to 8-10Days! LOL
Depending if everything goes right or it's putting up a fight all the way through!:s12202:

How little they know about the process! LOL.

Keep up the great Work!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Versatile

What is the brand of the bandsaw that is used? And that thing looks awesome. Hope to make something like that in the future!

Mike Carter

What is the brand of the bandsaw that is used? And that thing looks awesome. Hope to make something like that in the future!

I have Wilton metal cutting bandsaw and I love it. It has a transmission so it can be changed between high speed for wood and low speed for metal. They run about $1500 new but they are a real time saver since you can cut curves very closely and don't have to do much profile grinding afterwards.