Made Some Small Rubber Contact Wheels

MTBob

Small rubber contact wheels are hard to find, and when you do, they seem expensive. So, I rooted around in Amazon and found a rubber sanding drum sleeve set in 3/4,1,11/2 and 2" diameter x 4.5" long, and then found the needed end bearings. The rubber tires cost $19 and a set of 10 bearings was $9.
I used 2" of the tire on each wheel so, If (when) the first tire one wears out, I have a ready replacement, call it a 2 for 1 deal. The bearings are ChiCom sourced, so they will likely fail too. They are also easily replaced at less than $1/bearing.
The tires do not have 1/2" holes as advertised, more like .515". So I made the shaft oversized with a rough surface to grip the rubber a bit better.
A pretty simple job on the lathe. While on a roll machining these wheels, I think I'll make some extra small solid non-rubber contact wheels (rollers?) perhaps down to 1/4". I might even try 3/16". I think that's pushing it, though with light belt tension and slow speed, the small roller may come in handy.
1607574542565.png
1607574951268.png
Rough surface texture cut on the main shaft, before machining the bearing ends
1607575156618.png

Last edited:
The set I used was for the RIDGID combo belt and spindle sander, they worked great!

Small rubber contact wheels are hard to find, and when you do, they seem expensive. So, I rooted around in Amazon and found a rubber sanding drum sleeve set in 3/4,1,11/2 and 2" diameter x 4.5" long, and then found the needed end bearings. The rubber tires cost $19 and a set of 10 bearings was $9.
I used 2" of the tire on each wheel so, If (when) the first tire one wears out, I have a ready replacement, call it a 2 for 1 deal. The bearings are ChiCom sourced, so they will likely fail too. They are also easily replaced at less than $1/bearing.
The tires do not have 1/2" holes as advertised, more like .515". So I made the shaft oversized with a rough surface to grip the rubber a bit better.
A pretty simple job on the lathe. While on a roll machining these wheels, I think I'll make some extra small solid non-rubber contact wheels (rollers?) perhaps down to 1/4". I might even try 3/16". I think that's pushing it, though with light belt tension and slow speed, the small roller may come in handy.
View attachment 76227
View attachment 76228
Rough surface texture cut on the main shaft, before machining the bearing ends
View attachment 76229
I sure enjoy shop posts with photos. Thanks Bob.

Last edited:
Back