Looking for camera recommendations...

Lagrange

I'm looking for recommendations for a camera. I currently have a Canon powershot A590 8.0 MP camera, but I would love to upgrade to be able to get better pictures when shooting my knives. I am making a new light box and hope the addition of a better camera will help me get good pictures for posting on a web site I am building.
I love to take pictures but I am not a photographer, just a old fart with a good index finger.

So if you have a minute to throw away please let me know your recommendations for a camera upgrade.

I appreciate any and all comments...

Eric,
Before you buy a new camera finish your light box and learn how to use it with your old camera,you may be surprised at the results. I use Photogene to enhance photos and it helps a lot and is very basic and easy to use. A new camera does not necessarily equate to better photos. Good luck with your website!

I agree with Calvin. Knives are so hard to take pictures of, they have shiny mirror blades and shiny dark handles, you get one looking great and the other is either under or over exposed. My wife and I have taken concert, scenic, animal pics, and none are as hard as knives to me. The light box may help more than a new camera. Good luck.

Eric,
I am not a camera expert but I agree that a new camera may not mean better pictures? The 8 MP Canon camera you have as long as it has a macro setting? should be all you need for knife photography.

The light box and practice, practice, practice is more important.

Knife pictures are TOUGH!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Eric
As with above, a light box may make a lot of difference, one thing I started using was a tripod I picked up at a yard sale, it has almost unlimited adjustments and has helped me a lot!

God Luck and God Bless
Mike

Eric,
If your using the Macro setting,use a tripod,I also use a 2second delay so I'm not touching the camera when it takes the photo.

Eric,

As you know, knifemaking is a combination of various skills. A guy can spend a lifetime studying metallurgy. A guy can spend a lifetime studying leathercraft. A guy can spend a lifetime studying photography. And on, and on, and on.

It's true that with a lightbox or light tent you can get very good results with modern point and shoots. Having said that, jumping up to an SLR is worthwhile in my opinion. I happen to have a Canon A620, which is very similar to your A590. I use it for shop photos to save my good camera (a Canon 40D with a 24-70 "L" lens) from the hardships that are inevitably found in a shop environment. The A620 has been a good little camera, but I would be very sad if I had to use it to take "good" photos.

The two things that I think are important:

-Understanding light and how it affects exposure and depth of field. You need a good working idea of how shutter speed, aperture, and ISO settings work and relate to one another.
-Learning to effectively use a photo editing program.

You can learn both of the above concepts with the camera you currently have. If you practice enough, it won't be long before you'll be wanting an SLR. Both Canon and Nikon, among others, make entry-level SLR's that can be found used on the secondary market. I would shoot for getting an inexensive body from a reputable maker and then spend as much as you can on a good wide-angle zoom lens.

Sorry for the rambling. I don't know if this helped or hindered! ;)

Last edited:
Eric,
here is a picture I took with my Nikon Coolpix 5900 with Macro feature on and hand held. RhinoChop440CBlackpalm_zps29835a5f.jpg

One of my 6 1/2 blade, Rhino Chop knives with Black Palm wood & yellow liners.
Far from perfect, but suitable for a website or show and tell like this.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Well okay guys, looks like I will be finishing my light box and using the macro function more. I have been eyeballing a couple different SLR cameras for quite a while. I love taking pictures.
Thanks for your input guys. I am going to practice a lot. The cool part of digital photography is that it doesnt cost much to take a lot of pictures once you have a camera and a decent memory card.

I love pictures the ones I put on here are just with my phone once it is finished I will break out my camera and take some good ones. I am a cannon guy. I have a cannon t3i 18mp that I love. I carry it with me all the time

Eric, look at cowboy studios on the web. They have nice electronic flash lighting equipment. Also more important on the site they have videos that show how to use the equipment. You don't really need their stuff but, you can get a lot of ideas from the videos. I use a 8 mp Canon 20D for my knife pics, sometimes my EVO 4g phone. My good camera is the 40D. I use A 24-70, 2.8 lens on a tripod.

Photography is painting with light. Learn to control light and your shots will improve drastically. Once you have your light box set up it should only require minimum tweeks to get the photos you will need. Do not overlook the value of proping your final shots. Story telling helps to create a better visual effect.

As already mentioned you can get a value with a used camera. Look for one that is factory reconditioned. A little more for it but, it will carry some form of warranty.

Last edited:
Eric,

Good advice above, but back to your original question. Since you already have a Canon, you can upgrade to a better Canon without completely breaking the bank. I bought the T2i when they first came out. It came with a "Kit" lens and at 18mp, it did everything I wanted it to.

Now, I think they are up to a T5i for about the same price as I paid for the T2i.

Whatever you decide, know your equipment first (that includes the camera and light source). Once you have an understanding of those, then work on technique.

Good luck.

Robert

Back