Logo Critique (If wrong forum, please move)

h0tr0d

I'm playing around with what I want my makers mark to look like. I want something appealing to the eyes, but easy to identify.

attachment.php

I'm open to all suggestions, etc.

Regards,
Christopher

While that looks cool at that size, it'll be nearly impossible for it to etch cleanly at maker's mark size. In my opinion, it's also WAY too busy. The KISS principle applies to logos and marks just like everything else. The absolute best, sure fire, can't fail way to make something easy to identify is to use your name.

that's what Danbo tell me too Travis. Not too fond of using Ford, as it's too easily associated with Ford Motor Co. but i'm open to suggestions, but would like to keep the "Tree of Life" moniker if possible.

I don't think the tree of life would etch very good. Too busy as Travis stated. I would just go with your full name. Think simple when it comes to small stencils.

Chris,
I agree with the previous comments. Try a less busy tree possibly, look at Boker brand from germany, Look at my logo and the logo of other makers that are much more successful than me for ideas as well. Just your name in a stylish but easy to read font is always a winner to me as well.

There are many people with the last name Ford and I don't think people would immediately think of Ford Motor Co.

I think it's important that a logo helps someone identify you when they don't have a clue. I just googled 'arbour vitae' and even "arbour vitae knife" and found pages of nothing relevant. While I agree that the tree won't etch well, there are coarser renditions that should - like;

av.JPG

For my logo, on the few knives I make these days, I use a football shaped "Ranger Original" - "Alberta Canada".
I think a google search will find me.

For the supply business I used our website URL and the Canadian Flag that shoppers up here look for when shopping on line.

logo5.jpg

Again, people will be able to find us.

I'm no expert on graphics or marketing, but I hope my thoughts might serve yours too.

Rob!

another question, how thick should I shoot for on lines/text to create a clean stencil?

arklogo.jpg

what about something like that. I'm trying to play on themes related to my religious beliefs. I'm not that fond of the text, but that's the conceptual idea.

That's cool - but you'll need to explain what it has to do with your knife making. Are they made to weather what destroyed everything else? Do they represent a new beginning from a failed past?

It's still going to be tough when someone sees that knife they really like - to track it back to the maker.

fordcircle.jpg

Taking input from what you all have said and now shifting towards something like this...same still goes, comments, concerns, criticisms welcome!

I might even simplify past that, and remove the state silhouette.

Ford Knives
Hurley, VA

Or, even just a first name last name, or first initial last name, then where you are from, would be more than enough to narrow things down for the average customer.

As for the more elaborate ideas, they can be used for business cards, websites, avatars, etc...

On some knives I make, I just mark my first initial, last name, and the steel type.

View attachment 46825

Taking input from what you all have said and now shifting towards something like this...same still goes, comments, concerns, criticisms welcome!

I personally like the simple 'Ford Knives' in this example. It is simple, clean, and classy. My mark is simply my three initials, but then I'm not too worried about becoming the next Randall, or Loveless....

If you go with a simple name . . . "Ford Knives" --- think about adding something like "Ford Custom Knives" or " Ford Handmade Knives". The reason I say this is that Ford (Cars/Trucks) gives away promotional knives from time to time. Just google "ford knives". By adding the word "custom" or "handmade" you may set yourself apart just a little bit. Not much - but a little.

If this is for etching, keep in mind that really small details OR large solid areas get harder to make look right.
For instance, I'm not sure how well the black diamond will come out ob an etch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 46825

That looks fine and should work well. My logo on my avatar is what I use on my knives, biz cards and anything else I want to put my knife brand & name on. Have one made and test it out.

Here is what I have on my blades.rhinoLogo.jpg

Last edited:
Back