Liner Lock. Take 2.

Entropy762

Spent some time this afternoon and cut out the blade and liners. I think I'm going to revise my template. I super glue both of the liners together cor drilling and shaping. Since both liners have the same template one gets taken off when glued together. I had to order a 4-40 tap since the one I had seemed to disappear.

Jacob

Attachments

Last edited:

Entropy762

More shop time today. I drilled and reamed the blade and the liners for the pivot pin. Since I don't have a pivot I made one out of drill rod. My first whoops was I drilled the lock bar relief hole through both liners. No big deal as it will be covered by scales. Just shows a lack of attention to detail.

Jacob

Attachments

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Nice to see a handmade and tapped pivot. I haven’t seen one in a while. Looking forward to watching your build.

Entropy762

Well another whoops. One my first liner lock I used about four or five of the small Dremel cut off discs. While in town the other day I picked up the larger Dremel cut off discs that use the locking arbor. Big mistake. Once the disc cut through it caught and spun the center off the disc. I managed to ruin three of them.
I did manage to get the rear space done.

Jacob

Attachments

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
How are you holding the cutoff disc when you're cutting your lock bar?

I use the dremel EZ lock wheels in my mill. I can cut 4 locks with one wheel before it wears down too much.

Entropy762

I'm using the EZ lock cut off disc in my drill press. I clamp the liner in a vice and slide it back and forth. So there is really no control or stability. I think I might make a fixture for my lathe milling attachment for cutting the lock bar next time.

Jacob

Entropy762

Well dang it I need to make a new blade. Got it a little too hot before the quench. The edge has the old fried bacon look.
I did manage to get the liners tapped for the scales. Since I didn't have a counter bore for the scale screws I made one. I also turned down the OD of several of the fasteners for scales.

Jacob

Attachments

Entropy762

The good news is the blade is centered when closed and the detent pulls the blade closed.

Jacob

Last edited:

Entropy762

The edge is about .005 to .007. The wrinkle extends over 1/4" up the bevel. So by the time it's fixed the with of the blade will be narrower than I would like.
As far as getting it too hot, well it just looks like it to me.
I kind of wished it worked but making a new blade won't be bad. It seems I actually spent more time on the liners and scales.
I see this as refining my process.

Jacob

Attachments

Entropy762

This is precisely why I bevel my blades POST heat treat! The very thickest steel stock I use (approx. .180"), I may grind 25-50%.

Great work though Jacob! I am wondering though, why the choice of 1095 for a folder blade?
Thanks. I will bevel the next blade after HT. The stock I'm using is around 3/32". The reason for using 1095 is that it's what I have on hand. The only money I have spent on supplies or materials were for the 1/16 detent bearings, the corresponding drills, and the 4-40 tap. Oh and and the cut off wheels.

Jacob

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Thanks. I will bevel the next blade after HT. The stock I'm using is around 3/32". The reason for using 1095 is that it's what I have on hand. The only money I have spent on supplies or materials were for the 1/16 detent bearings, the corresponding drills, and the 4-40 tap. Oh and and the cut off wheels.

Jacob
You don't have to defend your steel choice to anyone.

There have been tens of thousands of carbon steel pocket knives in the past. And there are plenty of valid reasons to still make carbon steel folders.

And 1095 is a perfectly good blade steel....period.

Entropy762

Second blade has some issues. I drilled the detent hole on the blade before it was completely closed. Aaguh. Fortunately this blade is wide enough that the point can be dropped.

Jacob

Attachments

gudspelr

Looking good and nice job on all the fabricating of your parts. Making pivots and fasteners yourself is pretty cool in my book. Looking forward to the end result.

Jeremy