Liner lock help

LiamLynch

I won a peice of damasteel in the giveaway. It's only 5" so I figured its going to be a folder. The problem is, I don't know what I need. I have steel, backspacer, stop pin and scales covered. I really like the look of the little machine screws with Alan key heads but I don't know which to get, they arent essential though. I need to know which screws, which pivot, which bushing, which washers and what to do for a liner. I really can't afford a big peice of titanium. I would like everything to be from the Midwest supply so I can combine postage. Basically, I know I can get everything I need, except maybe the spring, but I don't actually know which parts I should get.

Parts and especially the tooling for building folders can get very pricey. The simplest, and cheapest folder for you to build would be a "friction" type folder....you can do that with pins/stock you likely already have. If you're heart is set on a liner lock....get ready to chuck some $$ down if you actually want it to work. Back when I first got into folders, and trying to do it "on the cheap" (with zero success) I started gathering the parts and tools I needed. drill bits, taps, reamers, and a bunch of hardware, including 2-56 screws, pivots, bushings, washers, etc. The very first "package" I received was the size of a 3"x5" card....and it cost almost $400! Can you do it on the cheap....sure! Will the folder work....likely not.

Personally, I used 2-56 screws throughout my folders.....this helps keep tooling cost down a bit in that I only have to purchase bits, reamers, and taps for 2-56. I also tend to use mostly 1/8" barrel pivots. I can never get everything I need in one place....I have about a 1/2 dozen different vendors that it takes for me to get the items I need for building folders.

One other thing to remember with folders......with straight knives you generally deal in fractions of an inch.....with folders it's thousandths of an inch! :)

I have access to the tools I would need so it's just the parts really, I have everything planned out its just a case of which pivots and screws and stuff. Could I use pins to hold it together except at the pivot? And what about washers. I will be trying this with some cheaper steel first.

Order some 1/8" barrel pivot pins from Boss,the screws will come with them,make sure to order a screwdriver to fit the screws. Like Ed said buy some 2-56 screws from Boss,make sure you have the tap drills,taps,reamers you will need. You will need to drill under size and ream your pivot and stop pin holes.Boss will also have the bronze washers you will need,use .010" or .012". You can pin the knife together if you like but believe me you will be much better off using screws. You don't need a bushing. Use steel liners if you like but titanium will me easier for you.

Last edited:
The bit of damasteel is now on its way to being an open razor, I guess I will post the pictures here when I have them

Back