Line in blade?

Rick Otts

I am grinding this blank and get to 120 grit when I notice a line in the blade that runs N and S and I am thinking how could I have done that it's smooth so it don't look like I did it on a pass.I reground the blank and it's still there any ideas a pic won't help you can only feel it I would say 1/32 wide.

It sounds like it might be an inclusion, what kind of steel is it? I was finding a lot of weird stuff going on with 440-C about 7-8 years ago and stopped using it for anything, although even with CPM-154 which is supposed to be super clean I've found what appeared to be scratches, usually just one, in the blade that I knew it was nothing I did. after a LOT of hand sanding I was able to make it go away. these scratches were parallel to the blade though.

1084 can't understand why it would be where it is going from edge to spine.I reground blade and it's still there.

If you pause at the plunge lines with to much pressure you will get a line on the opposite side of the blade. In the picture I'm against the plug with the platen. On the other side is where the line will be.
IMG_20171013_173427.jpg

Back