lets talk about step drills

Loosvelt

Guys,

My benchtop 1/2 hp Rikon drill press only goes to 5/8 inch. I really want to cut up closer to an inch. I was looking at trying some high quality step drills. I was wondering how well they work on the alloy steels we use and how thick they are effective up too. I know they are mostly used on sheet metal and such.

I would love to be able to cut an inch dia. hole up in 1/8 (1095 and 154cm) (for some cigar cutters I am making) even thicker would be a bonus.

Thanks,

Nate

Last edited:
Step drills work fine. I use them in HSS and Carbide for hardened steel.
The one problem is you may need to start smaller and work your way up to your final size.

Stainless steels in particular like CPM-154 get gummy when drilled, use the slowest speed you have. Around 200RPMs works best but I think your little drill press's slowest is around 600RPM.

Use a cutting oil and keep things as cool as you can with medium pressure. You will need Carbide for hardened steel, but you can drill these 1" holes with some patience in 1/8" Steel.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

If you need small shanks to hold in the drill chuck, have a look at a
deming twist drill too.

20090726010630959.jpg

They have much more size variation than a step drill.
There are no issues with material thickness like on a step drill, but more issues with grabbing and helicoptering on thin material as it breaks through.
I usually drill halfway and flip.

Also if you can find a deal on normal large twist drills, they can be lathe turned to a smaller shank.\
Much cheaper and infinite size ranges over just buying a Deming drill

You can also remove the drill chuck and use the Morse taper of the drill press to hold the drill
Morse_taper_shank_twist_drill.jpg

If you want a nice finish, you may look at drilling 1/32 smaller and reaming to final size

Last edited:
thanks guys,

Rhino, my Rikon goes down to 220 RPM. I have three clamps on it to prevent helicopters.

I am assuming with demings you still work your way up like to the 1 inch and can't start with with one

thanks guys,

Rhino, my Rikon goes down to 220 RPM. I have three clamps on it to prevent helicopters.

I am assuming with demings you still work your way up like to the 1 inch and can't start with with one

You can try with the Deming/Step drill to go right to 1" but I never had good results with it drilling Stainless in particular.

Maybe you will have better luck than I have?

It's really hard on the drill bits.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I've had good luck with bi-metal hole saws. Probably quite a bit cheaper than the larger twist bits too. Just cut slow with light pressure and lots of cutting fluid.

I've had good luck with bi-metal hole saws. Probably quite a bit cheaper than the larger twist bits too. Just cut slow with light pressure and lots of cutting fluid.

This makes a lot of sense, You wont have all the contact you do with a drill bit.
Also if it's cost effective you could have this done while having the blanks Water Jet Cut.

That's what I do these days. here is who I've used for the past year or so.

Our shipping info: Great Lakes Waterjet, inc.
53100 Corydon Court
Granger, IN. 46530

Our P.O. Box: Great Lakes Waterjet, inc.
P.O. Box 902
Granger, IN. 46530

Contact info: 574-651-2158
E-mail is David@greatlakeswaterjetinc.com

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back