Let me tell ya a question...

Church & Son

I read this morning that 53 is the new middle age...Well, I ain't gonna make life expectancy then...
Everything I've ever hurt is talking to me today..Half of a Vicodin with my coffee helped..some...
Picked a bad lifetime to give up drinking...

The demands of my realjob are taking a serious toll on this old bod...38 years in manufacturing/construction...
3 operations in 4 years just to remodel parts....
I'm either at work or resting up to go to work so it's leaving very little time for my "hobby"..
So with another show season on the horizon(read that 100 hour weeks) I've been putting a lot of thought into the
possibility of slowing down on the physical stuff some...And making my 'hobby" part of income...

All that to get to the topic;
I've made stuff for years, never sold much or had to depend on the income...
I've made what I wanted and if it didn't sell I'd give/ trade it off...

IF you, a maker, were at a crossroads where you could go with what you know and really enjoy doing but with little return
yet or maybe ever...
OR
Do what is hot and selling but you are less than enthused about...

I think I just answered my own question....If I have to do stuff my heart isn't in, might as well make a BBQ
out of the forge and go back to work....

Well, thanks to listening to the ramblings of a burnout....and have a good Labor Day......

bubba-san

Randy I am going through something similar, all I can say is,

On Pain
And a woman spoke, saying, "Tell us of Pain."
And he said:
Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain.
And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy;
And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields.
And you would watch with serenity through the winters of your grief.
Much of your pain is self-chosen.
It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.
Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquillity:
For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the tender hand of the Unseen,
And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter has moistened with His own sacred tears.

On work:
Then a ploughman said, "Speak to us of Work."
And he answered, saying:
You work that you may keep pace with the earth and the soul of the earth.
For to be idle is to become a stranger unto the seasons, and to step out of life's procession, that marches in majesty and proud submission towards the infinite.
When you work you are a flute through whose heart the whispering of the hours turns to music.
Which of you would be a reed, dumb and silent, when all else sings together in unison?
Always you have been told that work is a curse and labour a misfortune.
But I say to you that when you work you fulfil a part of earth's furthest dream, assigned to you when that dream was born,
And in keeping yourself with labour you are in truth loving life,
And to love life through labour is to be intimate with life's inmost secret.
But if you in your pain call birth an affliction and the support of the flesh a curse written upon your brow, then I answer that naught but the sweat of your brow shall wash away that which is written.
You have been told also life is darkness, and in your weariness you echo what was said by the weary.
And I say that life is indeed darkness save when there is urge,
And all urge is blind save when there is knowledge,
And all knowledge is vain save when there is work,
And all work is empty save when there is love;
And when you work with love you bind yourself to yourself, and to one another, and to God.
And what is it to work with love?
It is to weave the cloth with threads drawn from your heart, even as if your beloved were to wear that cloth.
It is to build a house with affection, even as if your beloved were to dwell in that house.
It is to sow seeds with tenderness and reap the harvest with joy, even as if your beloved were to eat the fruit.
It is to charge all things you fashion with a breath of your own spirit,
And to know that all the blessed dead are standing about you and watching.
Often have I heard you say, as if speaking in sleep, "he who works in marble, and finds the shape of his own soul in the stone, is a nobler than he who ploughs the soil.
And he who seizes the rainbow to lay it on a cloth in the likeness of man, is more than he who makes the sandals for our feet."
But I say, not in sleep but in the over-wakefulness of noontide, that the wind speaks not more sweetly to the giant oaks than to the least of all the blades of grass;
And he alone is great who turns the voice of the wind into a song made sweeter by his own loving.
Work is love made visible.
And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.
For if you bake bread with indifference, you bake a bitter bread that feeds but half man's hunger.
And if you grudge the crushing of the grapes, your grudge distils a poison in the wine.
And if you sing though as angels, and love not the singing, you muffle man's ears to the voices of the day and the voices of the night.

Kahlil Gibran from the book thE Prophet

Church & Son

Lawrence, something I haven't thought of, the middle....interesting, thanks....

Bubba, awesome....I studied Kahlil Gibran during the faith years or lack of..
But, the more I studied, the more bitter I became......

Never the less, he was a great thinker, my favorite of his;
"The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but
rather leads you to the threshold of your mind."

My problem is I have too good of a job, top of the game...I work guys half my age in the ground
and have forgotten more than they know...BUT, if I stumble many more times they will eat me...
So I'm trying to prepare for the time when the stuff I make might have to be an income...
Long ways between 53 and 67 when my retirement is supposed to be there...

Last edited:

bubba-san

Randy ,I wish you luck no matter what you do , The mind is a powerful tool , Faith is also a powerful entity . It helped me when I lost all faith in everything. When I was in Vietnam I thought everyday somone was going to shoot me . A good friend of mine, who has passed advised me to say the lords prayer every night and every morning. After a while I lost my fear and anxiety . I never got another scratch while there ??

May God bless and protect you and your family as you decde what to do. best regards Bubba

Wade Hougham

Bubba,
Good mind opening read. Thank you for sharing.

Randy,
Having worked construction most of my life, enjoyed most of it, and played hard. The body will let you know when it is time to move on. I have had 4 of those remodel operations in the last 8 years and can feel some parts that might need attention in the not so distant future.
We earn what we get out of life and for me all I ask for is peace and happiness. I am about 15/16th the way there and have accepted the aches and pains as being part of my journey.
For you to have put in as many years as you have you must have enjoyed the ride you are on, lucky for you you have the love of a craft that can keep you busy for many more years to come.
These words are not me preaching they are just the way I choose to process what has been handed to me.
Good luck and enjoy, my friend.

Wade

Church & Son

Thanks for the thoughts my friends.....I've decided what I knew all along and what has always worked in the past,,
STOP THINKING TOO MUCH!!!!
Give it your best every day and back your "gut feelings" with brawl....
If ya have a roof, a porch too pee off, a good Lady and a pork chop on your plate...thinks can't be too bad....

gearhartironwerks

A friend of mine showed me the tape measure rule of life. Take a tape measure and hook the end on a table and pull it out to about 75". Since 75 yo is about the average life span of a man, point to where you are in yrs/inches, and determine how much time has passed, and how much you possibly have remaining. I've been thinking about my bucket list, what makes me happy, and family. Kind of makes one think...
John

Wolfe

A friend of mine showed me the tape measure rule of life. Take a tape measure and hook the end on a table and pull it out to about 75". Since 75 yo is about the average life span of a man, point to where you are in yrs/inches, and determine how much time has passed, and how much you possibly have remaining. I've been thinking about my bucket list, what makes me happy, and family. Kind of makes one think...
John
I need a longer tape measure:biggrin:

rhinoknives

I also have to feel ZEAL about the knives I make.
I decided that I would let myself have more ZEAL for some kinds of knives than others.

It helps pay the rent so to speak.:biggrin: