Law Enforcement Knives

Justin W.

Hey guys! I hope everyone is doing well. We live in a smaller town and the about a month ago the police chief of our town approached me and was asking some questions regarding making some knives for his men. Naturally I was very humbled but It was a short conversation and I didn’t know if he was %100 percent serious. Well he was lol he wants 15 knives and these blades are gonna be carried on his officers every day. Because of the size of the order I’m going to probably have them water jet , I will ship them off to be heat treated, and I will probably run a jig on my grinder just for consistency. I am truly blessed to have this opportunity but too be honest I’m a bit of a nervous wreck this goes far beyond skinning a deer or cutting boxes open lol . I’m still trying to do some research and figure out what kind of knife style is gonna serve them the best.

Does anyone here have experience making knives for law enforcement edc or making knives for defensive use? I know this was long winded but thank you guys so much!

That's sounds like a cool project albeit a daunting one. Was the police chief anymore specific than he wanted 15 knives? I can think of a lot of scenarios other than self-defense that an officer might use a knife for. If an officer is using a knife for self-defense he's in serious trouble. Presumably these are fixed blades not folders?

That's sounds like a cool project albeit a daunting one. Was the police chief anymore specific than he wanted 15 knives? I can think of a lot of scenarios other than self-defense that an officer might use a knife for. If an officer is using a knife for self-defense he's in serious trouble. Presumably these are fixed blades not folders?
Yep these will be fixed blades. I am fully aware that the chances of an officer ever having to use a knife in a defensive situation are very very very slim it was just an example that the police chief gave me another one is if they had to use the knife to cut a seat belt

Yep these will be fixed blades. I am fully aware that the chances of an officer ever having to use a knife in a defensive situation are very very very slim it was just an example that the police chief gave me another one is if they had to use the knife to cut a seat belt
I was an EMT and fireman. Take a look at the EMT folders on eBay. They have the " gut hook" seat belt cutter and the glass breaker. You should definitely have these features in you LEO knives. Should be easy to incorporate into a fixed blade edc.

I was an EMT and fireman. Take a look at the EMT folders on eBay. They have the " gut hook" seat belt cutter and the glass breaker. You should definitely have these features in you LEO knives. Should be easy to incorporate into a fixed blade edc.
I think I could do a glass breaker pretty easily but how would you go about making a seatbelt cutter on a fixed blade

Check out Walter Sorrells tactix knives on you tube might give you some ideas.

First knife I made was patterned after his agent knife. I just redid the blade again to see how I've improved. The agent is a little smaller than you would probably want for an EDC though. The operator size would be a better size for an EDC IMO. Congrats on your good fortune, good luck!!!

Closer to tip would prevent having to put whole blade thru seatbelt to cut. Would this not be better? I for sure don't know the answer, but bjmac can much better answer that question since I'm sure he's cut seatbelts before.

Last edited:
Closer to tip would prevent having to put hole blade thru seatbelt to cut. Would this not be better? I for sure don't know the answer, but bjmac can much better answer that question since I'm sure he's cut seatbelts before.
you cut it from the outside, so you keep the edge away from the patient., but good observation though.

you cut it from the outside, so you keep the edge away from the patient., but good observation though.
That makes a lot of sense. It’s gonna be hard to try and integrate that into 15 knives. I’m gonna have to start designing to see if I can make it work

always....only way you get as old as I am and still marvel at the wonderment of it all!!!
And you will realize the first time a LEO comes up to you and says "Thanks - we saved a life today" it don't get any better than that. BJ

Your cops are lucky to be able to use guns and knives, here in the UK its a baton or pepper spray.....then maybe an armed unit if they are lucky .....bonkers I know!

If it were me I would just make a straight blade with a pronounced straight drop point, with maybe a small area on top with serrations, black g10 scales with blue liners, a kydex sheath with a tec lok, and two rivet holes on the bottom so the tec lok could be removed and the knife worn around the neck.

gut hooks are nice but they do get in the way sometime's in tight places, obviously you need to provide a prototype to the chief and maybe a couple other officers for their input.

Back