Latest sheath and a few firsts...

Dennis Morland

KNIFE MAKER
Just finished up this sheath for a knife getting donated to DU banquet next Wednesday. Made it by a week. Still need to sharpen and clean up the knife. I will make it in time. The sheath has a couple of first times for me. First thing me with Mexican round braid finished successfully. Yippee! First time with a metal clip. I like it. Easy-peasy.

Attachments

• 77E2A01A-D3DC-46F4-981A-8EC6D718A3EF.jpeg
    77E2A01A-D3DC-46F4-981A-8EC6D718A3EF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • A703ECDC-EE80-4AB2-8015-FE911B9ADF9D.jpeg
    A703ECDC-EE80-4AB2-8015-FE911B9ADF9D.jpeg
    686.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 65E68D5E-1423-4296-B017-525C5D2C6ABD.jpeg
    65E68D5E-1423-4296-B017-525C5D2C6ABD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • 6F1A44DA-71A4-4A15-A0C5-6A7128107991.jpeg
    6F1A44DA-71A4-4A15-A0C5-6A7128107991.jpeg
    830.5 KB · Views: 19
Just finished up this sheath for a knife getting donated to DU banquet next Wednesday. Made it by a week. Still need to sharpen and clean up the knife. I will make it in time. The sheath has a couple of first times for me. First thing me with Mexican round braid finished successfully. Yippee! First time with a metal clip. I like it. Easy-peasy.

Love the new sheath Dennis. I may have to pick your brain on the Mexican round braid. I have one that I am going to try and stitch the edge in that manner with sinew!! I looked for a schematic so to speak on doing that stitch but I haven't found one, that made sense to me anyway!! :eek::D

C
Love the new sheath Dennis. I may have to pick your brain on the Mexican round braid. I have one that I am going to try and stitch the edge in that manner with sinew!! I looked for a schematic so to speak on doing that stitch but I haven't found one, that made sense to me anyway!! :eek::D

CRaft - Here you go. I love Youtube.

I tried finding the lacing booklet that showed the Mexican basket weave but, as usual, I was unable to find it. Just go onto one of the leather working sites and order their selection of lacing booklets, it's bound to be in one of them and they will probably be around $10 each. I've done it a couple of times and I find that it is best to drill the holes in the leather unless you are using thin leather. With three layers of thicker leather punches can bog down and compress the leather. Also you can lay out the distance between the holes with a stitching wheel and mark exactly where you want them.

Another clue is that if the instructions tell you to allow ten times the length of the edge to be laced allow twelve to thirteen times so you don't have to splice in some lace to finish the job. A stitching awl will also help loosen up lace to get the next strand under a previous one. You might also want to put a ball game on to help pass the time. This is not a quick job.

Doug

The very loose rule is spacing is the same as the width of your lace. 1/4" lace, 1/4" spacing. I tend to go a little tighter with a Mexican round braid. Also, try an angled thong punch on single and double cordovan. it just angles the lace coming down the piece to match the cordovan weave.

Oh ya, Dennis, that is fantastic tooling on that sheath. If you had put the holes a little closer together it would have made the lace look tighter and more weave like.

Doug

When I made the sheath, I drilled the holes. I did not own a punch. I recently bought a single and four hole punch. I really like the punch much better...

Attachments

• A2B04150-48E1-4861-884B-CFF2A774E6A2.jpeg
    A2B04150-48E1-4861-884B-CFF2A774E6A2.jpeg
    715.4 KB · Views: 5
When I made the sheath, I drilled the holes. I did not own a punch. I recently bought a single and four hole punch. I really like the punch much better...
all the angled thong punch does is makes it so that the lace doesn't bunch up at the hole in the leather. Then again some prefer a straight punch to the angled.... I use both for different jobs. The picture above looks good. Another trick to lacing is to make sure the edge of your leather is coated or dyed the same color as your lace. Even if its a different color than the rest of your piece. A dyed edge hides those little imperfections in the weave of the lace that will show color.

Back