Kydex with a welt

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
If the best leather sheaths can have a thread saving welt, why can't leathers punk rocker cousin, "KYDEX" have a welt too???

Sooooooo, Larry Franklin asked me to make a sheath for his Ranger knife. I originally hesitated to post this because I didn't want it to look like a copycat version of K Robinson's fantastic tactical retention lock sheaths. So ignore the overall style and check out the .090 orange Kydex welt.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ky8.jpgky7.jpgky6.jpgky5.jpgky4.jpgky3.jpgky2.jpgky1.jpg

Copy Cat !!!!!!!

Only kidding Steve.
The sheath looks great. It may be the pic but the knife looks like it rides a bit too deep in the sheath ? Not much to grab onto. Anyway, nice job from both of you. Now I have more ideas to plagerize.....I mean think about.

Rudy

Yes, Eagle Eye Rudy, it is a little deep in the sheath. I wanted to get the Tek Loc clip as high as possible and left the front flap on the sheath. I will give this to Larry thurs and we (meaning Larry) may lower the Tek Loc and trim it down.

I only saw it because I had my nose pressed up to the screen. Never the less I may use your idea someday with your permission of course. The clips do present a problem with a high ride on my kydex too.

Rudy

I think all sheaths need a welt, and some guy named BossDog also suggested g10 or wood in Kydex or leather.

My next will be carbon fiber welt in Kydex.

RuJo, you have my unequivicable permission to pilfer all my ideas, just post the pics.

Steve

Great sheath Steve!

I like it ~ mind if I "borrow" a few of your ideas?

Yours always,

Sandy

Last edited:
Hey Steve that looks nice. I like the contrast in colors and the design looks very tactical.

Eric

Thanks Guys.
Please feel free to use and improve this idea. That is how we all get to be mo' better makers.
Post and share.

Sandman, I see a black sheath with an olive drab welt..... or maybe 3 layers of .030, two tan and a grey in 'tween a black sheath,.....or black and tan in a tan sheath for desert pattern.

My brain is wandering again.

Yes it looks great, Cant wait to see it up close. To steve a big thank you friend, Like i said before , you need a hand just yell.

One thing that I failed to mention is that I used Chicago style screws to hold everything together. If you want to use the eyelets and press you will have to experiment with the eyelet length as you stack the Kydex.

I don't mind the Chicago fasteners, they do allow you to open up the sheath and clean it out or blow it dry if need be.

On the next one I may extend the welt down and add an eyelet for a leg tie-down or extra piece of cordage.

Steve

Denny,
Leather would work also, I don't know how I feel about mixing it with Kydex. If it gets wet, the leather would stay damp longer..Hard to say....but anythings possible.

Thanks for looking,
Steve

Back