Knifemaker Training! A New Platform to learn Knifemaking/Bladesmithing

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
We're at a dead stop on videos right now. Tim and Mandi just moved into a new home, and Tim just got a new job......both are working 10+ hours a day, and afterward are working on their house. It's gona be slow on the videos until they get caught up....but more will be coming. I think it's gona be a thing of scheduling Tim on the weekends, so we'll see where that goes. Will keep you updated!

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
OK Everyone! The time has finally come! I am feeling MUCH better after the December surgery, and have healed up enough to get back at it! Tim is headed to the shop this morning to film more videos for Knifemaker Training!

We're going to do a couple of "primer" videos this morning, and then get into Basic Bladesmithing! I'm gona have to talk to Tim about it, but I'm thinking I want to go very in depth on the Basic Bladesmithing video, and in order to do so, I think we're going to have to do a number of videos, that will combine for the overall Basic Bladesmithing.

If anyone has ideas they'd like to see for videos on Knifemaker Training, feel free to post them on this thread, or you can PM or email with the tutorials you'd like to see.

Last edited:

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
Lot's of action in the shop! Tim has been filming nearly everyday for the past 2 weeks, and has a bunch of videos he's editing, and posting on KnifeMakerTraining.com

We've introduced our first non-video product, which occurred a bit by accident..... and new finishing/hand sanding stick. It's an inexpensive item that has been a "go to" tool in my shop for years. https://knifedogs.com/threads/sanding-sticks-now-available.47386/

Many Thanks to those who have sent such nice comments about the videos and the sanding sticks! Tim is currently working on 8, 10, and 12" radius sanding stick for those who hollow grind. IF, everything works out, we hope to have those available within a few weeks. I'm not a big hollow grind guy, so we're sending them off to my pal Steve Kelly for testing/evaluation.

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
Lots of new content coming soon to KnifeMakerTraining.com! Tim and I have been filming every day this week. I'm keeping a running list of subject matter that folks have asked for, so if there is ANY aspect of knifemaking that you'd like an instructional on, please PM or email me!

Tim had a great idea! We're going to do a series of "5 Minutes with the Master"..... It's a questions/answer session, that will be freebies offered on the site. I often have a tough time thinking outside of my own little box, and take so much for granted, but since Tim is not a knifemaker, he brings up a lot of great questions in these sessions that many will find helpful/interesting.

We also have our hand finishing/sanding stick available, and enough are out there now, that we are receiving feedback.....and so far the feedback has been stellar! Thanks to all of those who have purchased the sanding sticks, but more so thanks for your feedback!

Yesterday Tim and I spent the majority of the day working on updating "Basic Bladesmithing"! Years ago I put out a DVD of the same title, but was constrained by the technology of the time, having to cram it all into a relatively short duration, that would fit on a single DVD. That simply did not allow for the level of detail I desired, but the remake will solve that..... expect a number of videos that will comprise the "New Basic Bladesmithing". I'm going to go into MUCH more detail than the original, and we're shooting the video using only basic tools, but will also include the uses of presses and hammers for those who have access to those tools/machines. I've always loved to teach, and am having a great time passing on the knowledge I have acquired over 3+ decades of Bladesmithing/Knifemaking.

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
The latest "5 Minutes with the Mastersmith" is now available at KnifeMakerTraining.com

Yesterday we started work on a new video on Canister/can welding. Not sure when it will get edited and posted, but for anyone interested in this method, it will be a good video!

WY_Not

Just found the new site and purchased the lastest half dozen videos. Is there a way to download them as on the old site? Not sure if I'm going blind or if they are stream only.

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
I don't think they can be "downloaded" in the traditional sense..... the reason my old DVDs went bust was because they were pirated so much.... it was a constant struggle to get them removed from YouTube, and there were even several online "video rental" outfits who pirated them and were renting them out. One of the first things Tim and I discussed was how to curtail the pirating...... so I believe he has it setup to were they will only be "streaming" whenever the individual who purchases them wants. That being said, I'll double check with Tim and get back to you with what I find out.

WY_Not

Ouch. Can definitely understand the reasoning.

Much appreciated. Internet can be a bit sketchy at the house. Supposed to be DSL but I swear sometimes it is just a little faster than the dial up days. Was nice being able to load the videos to my phone and then use Google Cast to play them on the TV. Might have to get a quote on a loaded stick.

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
:) I've always referred to DSL as "Darn Slow Line". :)

I talked to Tim..... I was right about not being able to download the videos.....streaming only. It's funny you mentioned "a loaded stick".....Tim said to have you contact him about one of those!