Knife steel

backtines

Hey guys I've been making knives with some quality now for about 3 years. The only steel I've been flat grinding is 1095 and the knives that Ive forged have been with 5160..
I am gonna be out of 1095 soon and I wanna step outside the box a little and try another type of steel. Something that works similar to 1095. ( heat treat 1450 for 10 min temper 375 for 45 min 2 to 3 times).

Can you guys give me a few suggestions on some similar steels to work with besides 1095?

Thanks

W1 or W2 would be good choices as well as 52100 IMHO for "similar" steels.

Or pick up a billet of Damascus from from HHH

-Josh

W1 or W2 would be good choices as well as 52100 IMHO for "similar" steels.

Or pick up a billet of Damascus from from HHH

-Josh

I have a bunch of 52100 left in shop that I use when I forge, does W1 and W2 work in the same fashion as 1095? And can it be purchased in thickness of 5/32"?

I just jumped over to Aldo's site and it looks like he doesn't have any W1 listed at this time, though he may still have a little held back. You could drop him a line about availability. He lists W2 but the thinnest is 1/4" and I don't know if he has the capability of rolling it out any further. One thing to remember about the W series of tool steel is that their carbon content can vary a great deal. Like from 0.60-1.40% so you need to ask or pay to have an assay done. Being that Aldo orders his lots with knife making in mind I imagine that he can at least tell you what target he asked for.

Doug

Aldo didn't have any 1084 in 5/32 either. I was on Tracy's sight and ordered a pile of stuff from him as we'll as a few pieces of 52100 and a piece of Damascus I can play with. I still bought some of 1095 and a chunk of O1 From another source. I tell ya that piece of O1 came in perfectly flat right off the surface grinder . Im not used to getting in steel like that being that Ive always used 1095. It makes me want to convert my Boyar Shultz surface grinder over to belt sooner then later.

A belt conversion is a pretty easy project. GO FOR IT man you'll LOVE it !

-Josh

Definitely on the list. I just need to get off my butt and do it . I bought the machine off of Craig's list for 500 bucks last year. Had an electrician come in and hook up a converter so I can run it out of my garage . I reconditioned it, cleaned it up, painted it and I hate using it with the wheels because I can't swipe over the whole blade with one stroke. The darn wheels leave too many lines, and I've just been lazy to make the switch. I gotta just put all aside and do it. John you'll probably be hearing from me soon to pick our brain on conversion again. Thanks bro.

w2 is an amazing steel. simple to work with, if you really understand 1095 then it works almost exactly the same. But will really outperform it.

If you are into hamons, w2 for small stuff and Aldo's 1075 for big stuff. There is a mystic beauty inside these steels that you can unlock with heat and polishing. No exaggeration. These are extraordinary.
kc

Back