Knife Scales, Steel and a Collection

kirk anderson

Hello! I am new on this site and seeking some direction and guidance. My brother recently passed away, and he was a custom knife maker here in Denver, and also an avid life-time knife collector. I am looking to sell his collection and also the various scales, steel and other material he had amassed for his trade. I do not want to part out, but rather, would like to sell the lot to one person. I have spent many hours researching, taking pictures, assessing values. We are looking to sell the lot for around 50-60% of the fair-market-value, so I believe it would be a rare opportunity for the buyer. So any help would be appreciated... some knife sites do not allow such sales, and there are many rules on places such as Craigslist and EBAY, especially on the automatic knives (many of his collection are these, from makers such as Woodard, MicroTech, Pro-Tech, Hubertus, DOc Hagen, Spyderco, Baretta, Advanced Tech, Benchmade, Boker, Klaas, Rob Dalton, Cold Steel).

I am uploading a couple of the Mammoth Ivory scale sets.

I apologize in advance if I am listing this in the wrong section, or if this thread is somehow inappropriate.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0328.JPG
    IMG_0328.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 43
Kirk-
I understand your reasoning for trying to sell as a lot, but I think thats gonna be pretty difficult especially if there is quite a high cost involved. It appears as if there is based on your brief description. Collecting/making knives is a very personal thing and what one person likes/buys is totally unique to that individual. My suggestion would be to sell the knives individually and try to sell the materials in lots based on what they are. .ie blades steels, handle materials, etc. Its alot more work on your part, but in my opinion, it may be the only way to get a sale accomplished short of making a trip to the pawn shop. (don't do that!)

Thank you for the reply. Believe it or not I found a guy on the other side of the state who drove down and bought the entire lot from me. He got a good deal and can sell what he does not use. He was blown away with all of it, far surpassed his expectations. My brother knew his shit.

Back