Knife Scales finish - any recommendations on sealer?

Ricktx

I am just finishing up my first knife with Bolivian Rosewood scales and was wondering what a good sealer would be for a high gloss finish?

Personally, I would finish to about 1200 grit, give it a LIGHT buff, then a good coat or two of wax. Rosewood in notorious for not accepting liquid finishes..... and if it does, it looks like the wood is plastic coated.

Ed, Thank you for the input, I appreciate it and do you recommend a wax for overall polishing? I am still learning the basics.

I can't remember the last time I used a liquid finish on any exotic type woods. I finish as I described and apply a couple of coats of a carnauba based wax. Just stay away for the "harsh" type waxes such as Trewax, Johnson's paste wax, or any others that have harsh chemicals in them (you can always tell because of the harsh chemical order these waxes put off)

For woods that require a finish of some type, I primarily use Tru-Oil. It takes a specific method of application, and some time, but I find it to be a great finish for knife handles.

Back