Knife made out of U2 Spy plane wing skid.

Mark Barone

An airman asked me to take this wing skid from a U2 spy plane and turn it into a knife. It was damaged and he removed it. I didn’t know that U2 planes land on 2 wheels and as it comes to a stop, the wing with more fuel in it tilts and there is a controlled skid on the ground. I thought Purple Heart Wood would be appropriate inlay in the skid handle also. It will be a display knife. You can just make out the skid plate at the bottom of the tip of the wing.

2EC7EA75-ABE9-4395-999C-AD00DBFA71A9.jpegB45367B4-37D7-4340-9694-393C814C69D8.jpegFCD40167-CE7D-49EB-AB76-ADF87F8FE02A.jpeg

A very good choice to use the skid plate as the handle, and the wood fills the slots nicely. You did a good job, and that will be a nice display as well as a useful knife since the blade is good steel.

A very good choice to use the skid plate as the handle, and the wood fills the slots nicely. You did a good job, and that will be a nice display as well as a useful knife since the blade is good steel.
Thanks I will admit it was difficult to work with. Also the original holes did not line up so only 1 is pinned the other two are decorative and the rest is epoxied. Another reason why it needs to be a display knife. The customer was informed of this.

Back