Knife dogs/USAknifemaker 5th annual Hammer in last weekend in August

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Our 5th annual hammer is the last weekend in August.

August 28, 29, 30

We are located on North Mankato, MN which is 60 miles south of Minneapolis (and airport/Mall of America)

Instructors this year:
Peter Martin with damascus billets and mosaic can damascus. Everyone will get a chance to make your own billet of damascus and get a chance to use the blown forge and 20 ton press.

Jim Pohling will be showing basic knife smithing. Forge your a knife from straight steel or your Damascus billet.

the hot shop will have three forges and three anvils.

Keith Johnson will be showing slip joints start to finish. Limit 5 for Keith's session and requires sign up. (FILLED)

we will come up with more shenanigans I'm sure. If anyone volunteers to show something, let me know and we will get it on the schedule.

update 5/20/2015....
Rome Hutchings is going to bring his ribbon burner forge and walk us through how to make one.
I will be working on sourcing some supplies and we will try and cast one during the hammer in.

We need a leather guy volunteer instructor for basic sheath making. We will have the 10 ton leather clicker press, skiver and Cobra leather sewing machine set up for demo. We have about 20 different sheath die sets.

we will kick it off Friday afternoon at 1pm with open hot shop and knife shop time. Instructors show on Saturday and Sunday morning. Friday afternoon is just open for arrival when you can make it and play in the shops if you want an early start.

Dinner is around 5:30 to 6
open shop or refreshments (byob) and BS 6 to 9 or continue Open Shop time (no alcohol prior to any shop time)

Saturday 8:30 to 6
arrive by 8:30 for the safety talk and kick off
lunch is served, dinner on your own

Sunday
8:30 to 1

This is all hands on and unstructured for the most part. Make something, watch something or just hang out. Work on or learn any skill you like. We will have at least 3 grinders set up along with a disc grinder, mini mill, a couple drill presses.

Cost is $40 which covers the two meals, shop supplies and paid instructors. Participants also get a 20% discount on in-stock supplies purchased during the weekend.

Be aware we will be "open" and picking, shipping orders on Friday and Saturday so there will some business activity those days.

Space is limited and we may end up closing it when we hit 30 people. If the weather co-operates, we will expand a bit out back and front.

Call in to the shop at 507-720-6063 to reserve your spot or email info@usaknifemaker.com. CustomerServiceBeth will co-ordinate all the details. You can PM CustomerServiceBeth or use the above email.

There are 5 motels with in one mile of the warehouse. We will post a list of them here. 3 of those motels are 3 blocks walking distance.

Parking will be in the street. Please do not park in the adjacent 7up lot as they operate 24/7 and need the room for their trucks.

Last edited:
Reserved attendees so far:

Roger Cook
Les Vorhies
Tony Metsula
Steve Janik
Derrick Phillips
Jess Hoffman
Derrick Phillips
Jim Moenck
Alex Rock
Bob Harvey
Larry Franklin
Marc Weinstock
Corey Gimbel
Dave Wanta
Rome Hutchings
Jeff Sheriff
John Emmerling
Doug Sutherland
Justin Presson
Matt Riehl
Kurt Krueger
Jesse Osufsen
Mitch Kittel
Ray Fawley
Troy Shumski
Dave Thoms
Mark Warren
Larry Brittain
Michael Rochford
Charles Steffes-Clayton (4)
Greg Rademacker

** FULL **

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I need to find a way to get to this!! I could learn so much!.....road trip...just Google mapped it about 6 hour drive that's duable

Yeah, I looked at map too, it would be about 10hrs for me. We need one of the guys from down south, like Nathan, Ken, Calvin, etc. to rent an 11 passenger van and pick us all up on the way north. We could split the cost for the van and fuel and take turns driving.

I talked to the wife last night and if I can get my mother to watch the kids we are going. Thanks Tracy for adding that it will be an hour away from Mall of America after I mentioned that her ears perked up :)

I am an expert at making left handed Kydex sheaths when someone really wants right handed. So i'd be happy to pass this skill(???) on to some one.
If not, I'll just mosey around and sorta make trouble.

I am an expert at making left handed Kydex sheaths when someone really wants right handed. So i'd be happy to pass this skill(???) on to some one.
If not, I'll just mosey around and sorta make trouble.

Kydex class just added...
there will be plenty of time to make trouble left over...

I can't wait! This hammer-in has become a legendary tradition and worth whatever it takes to get there. Beg, borrow, liberate...its a "must do". Great bunch of folks running it and attending as well.

Peter

Babysitter lined out, vacation time approved so the wife and I will be north bound in August...I can't wait!!!
Might need some motel recommendations and others from the locals.

Oh come on I guess I will have to come again and keep Peter and Steve from getting into to much trouble.
Wait I should get paid for that much work, Man I'm tired just thinking about it. Oh well just can't miss
Coming and seeing my Minnesota brothers.

Oh come on I guess I will have to come again and keep Peter and Steve from getting into to much trouble.
Wait I should get paid for that much work, Man I'm tired just thinking about it. Oh well just can't miss
Coming and seeing my Minnesota brothers.

Minnesota brothers......what about the sisters??
Beth

Babysitter lined out, vacation time approved so the wife and I will be north bound in August...I can't wait!!!
Might need some motel recommendations and others from the locals.

Let me know if you need some recommendations. I have something I can send over for you.
If anyone else needs information, let me know!

update....
Rome Hutching is going to bring his ribbon burner forge and walk us through how to make one.
I will be working on sourcing some supplies and we will try and cast one during the hammer in.

update....
Rome Hutching is going to bring his ribbon burner forge and walk us through how to make one.

I'm looking forward to seeing this forge.

update....

Here's a sneak peak that is posted on Facebook in the group Blacksmith Forges, Gas, Coal, and Alternative Fuel Forges

https://www.facebook.com/groups/345550495601819/ there are posts on the forge build and the burner build.

If you want to see a little more, check out the Facebook group Knife Shop Photos

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204180561853936&set=pcb.445759102245719&type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204191218280340&set=p.10204191218280340&type=1&theater

Both of these are closed groups so you may have to ask to join.

I'll be working on this event with my buddy John Emmerling, I'll have a source list for all the parts and we'll do a question and answer session with pictures. I'm thinking the session would be a good evening event, but we'll leave the scheduling to you Boss.

Thanks in advance for the opportunity to add this to the 5th Annual Knife Dogs Hammer-In program

I am looking forward to my 2nd Hammer In. I learn so much.

Thought I would give this a bump since its a little over a month away. I'm looking forward to it. Any updates or changes?

Back