knife #4 (first forged blade)

sethshaun

This is knife #4 forged from a Crosby 9 1/2 ton shackle. I don't know what the make up is but it felt tough to move with my 4 lb hammer. For the first one I didn't want to use expensive steel.
I used cypress for the handle. Homemade layered veneer and a red spacer. The first handle was junk. I went outside to do a chop test and quickly proceeded to the anvil to smash off the original that kept slipping out of my grip. The new one feels great! AND. Feels very secure in hand.
I think I can use it as a bushwacker/camp knife.
I would like some constructive criticism. I want to get better at this so go for it you can't hurt my feelings.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG00445-20100307-1935.jpg
    IMG00445-20100307-1935.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG00444-20100307-1934.jpg
    IMG00444-20100307-1934.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG00335-20100223-1734.jpg
    IMG00335-20100223-1734.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 62
You've got a lot of good stuff going on with that knife. I really like what I can see of the forged guard and the handle looks very comfortable. I only see two things that you might want to consider changing on future knives. I think the lines would be a little nicer if the top of the handle came up to the spine of the blade and that's just an aesthetic thing. You might want to make the top of the rear of the handle a little less acute an angle. That would allow you to more easily hit the pommel with the heel of your hand if you needed a little help driving the point of the blade into something.

There isn't a thing in the world wrong with the way you have done things but you asked for suggestions and I thought I'd offer those.

Thanks for sharing,
Carey

That is a great knife! I like the pattern!

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge
--------
IN GOD WE TRUST

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got a lot of good stuff going on with that knife. I really like what I can see of the forged guard and the handle looks very comfortable. I only see two things that you might want to consider changing on future knives. I think the lines would be a little nicer if the top of the handle came up to the spine of the blade and that's just an aesthetic thing. You might want to make the top of the rear of the handle a little less acute an angle. That would allow you to more easily hit the pommel with the heel of your hand if you needed a little help driving the point of the blade into something.

There isn't a thing in the world wrong with the way you have done things but you asked for suggestions and I thought I'd offer those.

Thanks for sharing,
Carey

I thank you for the encouragement! You've given me some very practical and much appreciated advice. I learned enough making this one that I don't feel the need to make excuses for my mistakes. It was great fun and I'ma gon get better. :bud:

Thank you

guys very much. Like i said don't hold back, I want to make good knives that can be used in real world situations. I didn't even think about making a handle that was safe to hit with something strait down, and that could most likely happen. There is a wealth of experience and info here!

Back