KMG plans?

Daniel Macina

Anyone know where to get plans for a KMG like grinder? I know D. Fogg used to have some on his webpage but it's no longer up. Is there any other plans like that to look at?

Check out the Build Moe's Grinder on the DVD page of my web-site, also check out the video on the Grinders page.
Non KMG clone but more versatile and simpler to build.
Let me know if I can help you. I will have some of the DVDs at Quad State next week.

Build one of the two slot grinders and direct drive. KMG is old news. So much better and more affordable out there!!

Devon, I've watched that build since it was first posted a thread on this forum (I think) and have admired the grinder. That would be a snap to build, and with the outside as one plate for motor mount would keep everything lined up nicely. Good design.

Cliff, I'm gonna help you out here - having horizontal is really handy. I found the horizontal so good I built a dedicated horizontal grinder. Cost.... hmmm, call it $400 including the motor and VFD. It would be so easy to add that to the linked grinder.

I'm building a new grinder now, so far it's about 90.00 in steel and other parts. Without motor and VFD it should be under 200.00 I thought of posting a thread here but wasn't sure if anyone was interested. Mine is heavy on the welding.

I always love a grinder built! Post it up! I totaled the build cost for a kmg clone and it came out to about $100 in steel. I already got pretty much everything else.

C Craft, the same guy that posted the build of the vertical grinder also did a build of a horizontal one as well. It seems to be an improvement of KMG's. I plan on building this one as well. I will share the VFD.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/2-x-48-horizontal-belt-grinder-build.1094914/
Thanks for the link!!
A local man once showed me all you have to do is have a set of hinges to take from a fixed grinder, to a 90* conversion to a horizontal grinder. Can't remember but I think his name was Ken!! LOL

Of course two things have to happen with mine before I can go that route. I have to mount my motor as a fixed power source , instead of (a belted powers source) using drive pulleys with a belt!! That will result in the second thing a VFD conversion!!

So I might be better off to build another machine! If I build another I would like to go all aluminum!

What I can't figure out is what bank you all robbed to afford all the dang aluminum?? Side splitting laughter.jpg

Seriously, when approaching a build like this.
Do you???????

A. Buy a whole sheet of aluminum?
B. Buy it in pieces from a source like Online metals, or use some local source to your area?

Right now I don't have a source that truly is affordable so I used steel in the past!! I would love to have the ability to machine my own parts! I know little to nothing about using such and item but would definitely love to have a lathe/mill combination!!I Alas, though two things keep that from happening, don't have the money and don't have the space!! The wife frowned on losing the bedroom that backs up to the garage for me to have more room in the workshop!! Tried to convince her it would be so convenient to have a bathroom in the shop and I put a cot in the corner to rest on when I get tired.

OK sorry for getting off subject in a silly mood today!! :p

aluminum isn't really all that expensive. If you think it's high priced, look at titanium! If you have a local scrap yard you'd be surprised what you can find there. If you have the ability to weld aluminum, you can make about anything. I had a piece of 0.190 tread plate aluminum that I made a quench tank from the other day.

If you have a local scrap yard you'd be surprised what you can find there.

There is a thought! You can not wander the scrapyards here anymore, at least in my area. However the last time I was at the scrap yard they did have a section that drag all stuff they think may re-sale. A lot of these companies, such as a local company that builds aluminum toolboxes. They sale all of their scraps to the local yard, under the premise that no one is allowed to buy it from the scrap yards!! That I know cause I already tried!! :p

Back