Kitchen knives handle wood and handle finish

wmhammond

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I posted pictures of three kitchen knives that I had made and provided some dialog about my intention to bring them into my own kitchen for some "field testing". All three knives were 440c with canary wood handles that I finished in various combinations of Winox Marine Sealant and Winox marine Finish. The knives, steel wise, are holding up very well (edge retention, etc) and the handles are holding up very well as to the wood and assembly. My finishes leave a little bit to be desired and I think I need some help on this whole topic.

What are the best woods (strength, appearance and water resistance) for kitchen knives and what are the best finish technics for finishing knives in preparation for the unique challenges of kitchen use? Thanks for your help,

Wallace

as far as wood, what ever looks the most striking. spalted maple, ambrosia maple, walnut, honey locust, hickory,.... especially if book matched. i use high performance water based polyurethane for floors, 5 or 6 coats, takes about 8 hours to do. the only thing I have found that will touch the finish is denatured alcohol.

Back