Kirinite Mother of Pearl givaway Dagger

Mark Behnke

This is my 14th knife
A lot of firsts, frame handle, 6"wheel grind, stacked spacer, coining, and domed pins to come.

This will be my first finished knife in about a year, lots of bumps last winter so took a break but I'm excited about this one
Heat treated and fit up were my big hurdles so I'm a little more relaxed about finishing up and just wanted to share.

Still need to refine the blade grind 120 up.

Thanks for looking comments advice always appreciated.

Kirinite Mother of pearl dagger 1-11-14 003.jpgKirinite Mother of pearl dagger 1-11-14 001.jpg

Mark,
That's your 14th knife? You are still welcome to stop by for kitchen knife pointers if you like but I just want to say that my 14th knife didn't look anywhere that good! lol.

Excellent work!

Mark, I am impressed that looks great, I like using 1/16" pines have less problems with them, like the knife, get er done so we can see it, I think it needs a metal sheath, if you need some help on it get hold of me. Deane

Looks like that is going to be a beautiful dagger.
Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Since it is pouring down rain you have no excuse not to spend the day in the shop.

Go get'em Mark.
Looks good. You reminded me that I have to finish mine now....I've finished a couple other knives since I started it.:9:

Rudy

Wow that is really impressive and fine looking. Whoever you are giving it to will get very nice knife-

Great start to a even greater looking knife! Thanks for sharing the pictures and your progress.

Blessings
Randy

Laurence,
That's #14 lots of failed attempts and unfinished- abandoned knives. Thanks for your invitation and kind words I wish we lived closer.

Deane,
Thanks for taking a look and your offer to help, I was hoping you would see this and weigh in. I'm trying to do the domed pins like Will&Finck and M. Price I'll do a nickel silver sheath and contact you for help.

Mark
I spent a long day in the shop:biggrin: I'd like to come out to your shop one of these days.

Rudy,
Thanks for the encouragement, it really helps me keep at it.

Ken,
Thanks, I hope I don't screw them up.

Ausbrooks
I was thinking I might sell it but it might go to a Grandson.
This is the Kirinite from Boss Dogs handle material givaway.

Randy
Thanks, I draw a lot of inspiration from your work.

Thanks again

Is it done yet?
I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Looking great so far.

BTW: Mark you can come by anytime you want.
I am here almost every day.
Just call first so I can line up a bunch of chores for you to do.

Mark
Just came in for break, working on it every day but it's (I'm) slow. Making pins like these:
http://www.americanbladesmith.com/i...c/698-domed-heads/page__hl__domed pin washers
5654788156_d9a30195b4.jpg

I'll call you when the weather warms up you'll know me when I come out by the cardboard sign that says "Will work for Burl":biggrin:

Progress report:
I spent the last week practicing with the checkering file 1to 3 hours a day so I'm ready to do a little on the dagger.
Finished the guard and spacers and made the washers for the pins but not real happy with them as the holes are off center, may have to make a new jig.
Just thought I'd show a little.

I should add that this is my practice piece, hoping the work on the knife is cleaner.
Checkering 005.jpgCheckering 006.jpgCheckering 010.jpg

Last edited:
That checkering sure looks good - can't wait to see finished dagger..... I still like the grind lines:)

Ken H>

Back