KD Awards Nomination Rules 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
First the Rules, then the nomination threads.

1. Each category will have it's own sticky thread in which to post this years nominations. When the nominations end this thread will be turned into a poll for voting.

2. Please post a SINGLE photo of the nomination from anywhere on this forum. If the photo was here originally and removed due to lack of space in your profile, you can dig it up and post it. You can't, however, post a better photo than was originally up. We are governed by the Honor system as we are nothing without our Honor.

3. The maker will have the final say so on the correct category, if you don't feel it's where it should be, contact the poster or myself.

4. Any maker is limited to one entry per category and three total among the 10 categories.

5. Any maker can refuse a nomination for any reason.

6. Post your own work or someone else's, and post as many as you like.

7. PLEASE, PLEASE don't fill the nominations up with a bunch of comments or suggestions. They will be removed. I will leave this thread open for chit chat. And of course, No Drama please.

8. I'll keep the nominations open until Feb 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM CST. Shortly after that, they will be changed into polling threads.

9. Each category will require at least 5 nominations to move on to the polling process.

Thanks in advance for your participation and let's give this a good run.

Steve

Last edited:
I'm going to nominate Mr. Bill Coye. I think he started making knives around 4 months before the KD started. His entire career has been documented and his work speaks for itself. I have dealt with him from the very beginning, both as a customer and a friend. He is a great guy, smart business man, and awesome knife maker.

Bill exemplifies vision and ability!

Are we allowed to second nominations?

I will make a couple of comments as food for thought in moving forward.

The dilema I have in this years contest is that even if I remember seeing a particular photo that I really liked during the past year, finding it among the 140,000 posts in 14,000 threads is nearly an impossible task. If I remember the maker, I can look in their gallery but many do not post pictures to the gallery.

Adding to the problem is the fact that many of the pictures were linked to the photo residing eleswhere, in Photobucket or another website. If that source photo has been deleted, moved or renamed, it no longer shows in the thread here. I found that in my own case where I had linked to some photos on my website. Later, I rearranged some things on my website and moved some photos to other directories. That broke the link to the photos here.

I know I have seen a lot of outstanding work on KD over the past year that would be worthy of consideration for the awards but I honestly don't have the time to dig through thousands of threads to find the pictures.

In going forward, I would make a couple of suggestions:

1. If you see a photo of a knife or sheath that you want to nominate for 2011, go ahead and submit it when you see it rather than trying to find it later.

2. If you are looking for a particular photo, don't forget to check the galleries.

3. If you host your photos anywhere other than knifedogs, remember that if you delete, move, or rename the original photo, it will break the link to your posting here and a red x will show instead of the photo.

There is no need to "second" any nominations. I understand the sentiment but we want to keep the chatter on this thread and keep the nominations clean.

Also, you need to post a "single" picture in your nomination. Posting a link to another thread with multiple photos will just get the nomination overlooked.

All that aside, the participation so far is great, please keep 'em coming.

Many thanks,
Steve

I have a question/comment about rule #4

4. Any maker is limited to one entry per category and three total among the 10 categories.

What if different people like differnt knives by a particular maker? after all, the knife categories are for the knife, not the maker, right?

The intent was to try to keep this from being a runaway by any single maker and spread the wealth a little.
With such great diversity in membership ranging from newbies to the top professionals in our industry it would be easy to load up the categories in an unfair manner and possibly insure a winner by splitting the votes too many ways.

All suggestions will be considered for next year.

Thanks

So if someone throws up a knife by a maker, but I think a different knife by the same maker is a better example of a certain category I cannot nominate the knife I think is better?

We can't go into the final voting with one maker having 5 knives in the same category. The participation when it comes to polling has been historically low on this forum and the vote will be spread too thin. Give me til tommorrow to work on it, but we may be able to let it be "wide open" now and narrow it down before the final vote by letting the maker decide which of his nominated works move on to the finals. I can do this by PM's before posting the final poll, then clean out the threads to show just the finalists. If we do this, it will revert back to the original posted rule of no more than one piece in any given category and eligibility in a max of 3 categories.

Give me some time,
Steve

PS. Be careful guys, because as the first Awards Boss I am giving myself the power to appoint next years Boss and I am narrowing the list down quickly.:les::lol::biggrin::what!:

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your work on this Steven. There were bound to be things that you (we) didn't think of going in. I tend to think of the knife categories as the knife only without regard to the maker. Many of us make a very wide selection of styles so what appeals to some will not appeal to others.

OK, This is the solution....

ANYone can nominate and ANY piece of work in ANY category until the end of the nomination period. At that time I will ask the makers who have multiple nominations in any category to choose which piece moves onto the finals. If they have nominations in more than three categories then they must also choose which 3 they would like to be considered in. This is Rule #4 and will not change this year.

We wont hold up the finals when the nominations close. If we dont hear back from a maker in a timely manner then the admins and supermods will make the choice.

This should clear up any questions, so let's get back to the nominations.

Thanks,
Steve

Mr. Janik may be the biggest glutten for punishment I have ever seen. He keeps coming up with stuff and then volunteers to take it on....

3 cheers for Steve_O
:35::35::35:

Mr. Janik thanks for all your work. Your solution seems like a good one. Thanks for addressing my question.

Attention all Dogs,
The nominations will close this Sunday nite Feb, 6th.
Please take some time to make sure your favorite knife or person is in for the final voting.
They can't win if they don't run so cruise the custom forum or search your favorite maker and do your part to make this a success.
When the nominations close, I will PM anyone who has multiple nominations in a single category and have them make their choice which work to put up. If anyone is up in more than three categories, they will have to make that choice also.

After that is all sorted out, I will post a poll at the top of each category and the finals will begin with a time limit. At that time, I will also clean up the threads and delete everything but the nominated photos or posts.

PS....I am hearing rumors of a special award being donated for the finals, so far it's just smoke signals and drumbeats, but I'll let you know when I break the code.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Steve has really worked hard on this. Thanks for all the time and effort Mr. Janik...:35::35::35::35:

Thanks, but PLEASE no more thanks.
You can show your thanks and support by voting in the finals.

This WILL be a very coveted award in the future and it will mean even more if the votes are fast and furious. I've already seen a couple posts about new makers whose goal is to get nominated for a DOGGIE in the future.

Imagine your'e at BLADE or another great show with your DOGGIE and a picture of your winning entry and someone asks to hear your story about how you were nominated. This is great exposure and marketing. I'm going to submit pics of the winners to any publication that will accept them and when Joe Knifebuyer sees that and sees you at a show, he feels as if he knows you already. This type of familiarity breeds trust which ignites conversations which equals potential sales.

This site has put a great deal of us on the map, even the small potatoes like me, and these awards and the after effects will add another ring of exposure to all of us.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back