Karambit with Scales Dry Mounted

opaul

So far this is the first knife I have made where the scales will be 95% finished before they are epoxied on. How do you guys like the scales? Kind of garish :)
The scales will be mounted with black micarta pins. I'd say this Karambit is about 90% complete.

Nice!! How do you dry fit? Double Stick tape or Super Glue??

Thanks 07!
I cut the profile on the bandsaw after drilling the pin holes. Then I mounted the scales on the blade with pins (semi tight fit). I don't clean my pin holes until the final step of epoxying the scales and pins. I then sanded the scales to shape with my flat platen and then the 10" contact wheel with a 120 grit belt. After that I took them off and hand sanded to 1000 grit. Mounted them back on the glamor shot. It is now sitting on my bench all epoxied up.

Very cool take on a karambit! Your grind geometry is fantastic!

Thanks John. I made this one just to take a break and do something differently. I was at the Woodcraft store the other day and they had different handle material and I went with this pattern, which is also quite different than what I normally would have picked out.

That is a wild color for the scales but, you know what I kind of like it!!! It actually seems to work well with the karambit! I was trying to think what it reminded me of, it is straight out of the 60"s!! LOL

That is a wild color for the scales but, you know what I kind of like it!!! It actually seems to work well with the karambit! I was trying to think what it reminded me of, it is straight out of the 60"s!! LOL

Thanks C Craft! It does take you back in time a bit. I knew when I decided to make this blade I was going to put a 'wild' set of scales on it. I'm also going to get some kydex and learn how to make sheaths. I'm thinking this design would look better with kydex rather than leather. What are your thoughts on that.?

I'm not big on karambit's, but as karambit's go I think you hit that one out the ballpark.
The scales are kind of wonky looking for lack of a better term, course that's probably just me because I'm not really a fan of kirinite, but they kind of scream 'Harley Davidson'.
I would think a Harley fan would take a liking to that knife. well done O.

I'm also going to get some kydex and learn how to make sheaths. I'm thinking this design would look better with kydex rather than leather. What are your thoughts on that.?

You know I have a feeling kydex would probably look good with it! Or at the very least a black sheath.

I'm not really a fan of kirinite, but they kind of scream 'Harley Davidson'.
Now there is a thought, the color does work for a Harley theme. A black leather sheath with a Harley emblem hanging off of it!! It will sell at first sight when a Harley fan sees it!!:cool:

1531188725272.pngCarve this on this image on the sheath and hang a chunk of black leather, and in Harley Orange the words! "The sun on your back. Two fists in the wind. And the horizon teasing you farther down a great road"!

There is nothing they can say (Harley) about and image of one of their motors with the name and logo on it!! A Harley lover will snap it up before you can answer,...…….. How much is that????

View attachment 63872Carve this on this image on the sheath and hang a chunk of black leather, and in Harley Orange the words! "The sun on your back. Two fists in the wind. And the horizon teasing you farther down a great road"!

There is nothing they can say (Harley) about and image of one of their motors with the name and logo on it!! A Harley lover will snap it up before you can answer,...…….. How much is that????

lol,, I like that motor!!! Put the saying on but not the motor. You better have very deep pockets!!!!! They like to play.

Back