Just one of "those days"

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
Been incredibly hot here for what seems like forever. I've avoided the hot shop, and just yesterday got a cool morning where the temp was about 65F at 5:30am..... so I headed to the forge and started some damascus billets for an order. The intent was to continue today, but Mr. Murphy showed up! Tried to start the power unit for Orange Crush (my press), and nothing. Rats! After a bit of troubleshooting, I found that the starter was shot. Pulled it, and off to NAPA I go...... We don't have that starter in stock....but Billings does, and we can have it here sometime tomorrow. $143.00 later, and a new starter is on the way.

Orange Crush is powered by a 4 cyl Kubota diesel engine, and ya know what......... there's a saying amoung the ranchers around here.... If it's green (as in John Deere green) it's expensive! Nobody ever told me that if it's orange (as in Kubota orange) it's pretty darn pricey too! :)

I'll take the "glass is half full" route...... at least it didn't happen when it was snowing and -20. :)

C Craft

I will tell you something else. Those dyed in the wool John Deere people get real mad when you show up at the JD Dealership and try to find a part that will fit on a Kubota. Don't ask!! LOL I borrowed a buddies Kubota and it broke while I was using it. So since the part was something I figured would be rather generic. I stopped by the JD Dealer. When I told him what I was looking for.

He goes what model of JD is that??

Ah, its not a JD it is a Kubota.

I don't carry anything for them foreign tractors!! :rolleyes:

Yes sir, thanks for your help!! :p

ARCustomKnives

I will tell you something else. Those dyed in the wool John Deere people get real mad when you show up at the JD Dealership and try to find a part that will fit on a Kubota. Don't ask!! LOL I borrowed a buddies Kubota and it broke while I was using it. So since the part was something I figured would be rather generic. I stopped by the JD Dealer. When I told him what I was looking for.

He goes what model of JD is that??

Ah, its not a JD it is a Kubota.

I don't carry anything for them foreign tractors!! :rolleyes:

Yes sir, thanks for your help!! :p
I used to have Deere lawn tractor. I went to the nearby dealer to pick up a set of blades, and when he told me the price, I thought he was trying to sell me two SETS, not just two blades. I'd have been better off sharpening the old set one last time, take half my money out of my wallet, run over it with the old set of blades, and call it a day. :rolleyes:

At any rate, I found a set of Gator mulching blades for about 1/2 the price of the JD set, and they ended up being a better set of blades anyhow.

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
Orange Crush is back in working order. I was standing at NAPA's door when they unlocked at 7am. Got the starter installed and tested..... works great! Then decided the engine needed a good cleaning.....so hosed it down with degreaser, let it sit, and hosed it off with water about 1/2 hour later.....she's shining inside and out like a new penny! :)

C Craft

Orange Crush is back in working order. I was standing at NAPA's door when they unlocked at 7am. Got the starter installed and tested..... works great! Then decided the engine needed a good cleaning.....so hosed it down with degreaser, let it sit, and hosed it off with water about 1/2 hour later.....she's shining inside and out like a new penny! :)
Ed, I think that is a mandatory in knife making. You have to know how to work on your own machines. Wish I lived closer as I would love to see your shop!! However the commute from NW Florida to Great Falls Montana might be a bit much!!! Where is that in the state?? Anything I might recognize the name of close by??

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
Great Falls is North Central Montana..... It's 89 miles east of the Continental Divide (Rocky Mtns), The Canadian border is 2 hours north. Probably not much that I could mention that would help you recognize the location. :)

JJB11B

Great Falls is North Central Montana..... It's 89 miles east of the Continental Divide (Rocky Mtns), The Canadian border is 2 hours north. Probably not much that I could mention that would help you recognize the location. :)
It's only 140 miles north of a good friend of mines home ranch. His main ranch is just south of Alder

cdent

Could just look for the little smoke trail, should narrow it down to about five hundred square miles. Glad it's up and running again Ed. It may need odds and ends now and then, but it's probably a good thing that it's not a pull start tecumseh.

C Craft

Ed I was thinking of this post a while back and wondering why I never went back to see the answer!! Old age senility or just plain busy I guess!!

I was thru their in the late 60's or early 70's.

We came thru, West Yellowstone. We were going to see if the horse stables that my Grandfather had helped to build in Yellowstone were still there. We got caught in a snow storm, and abandoned the idea of seeing the horse stables. From their to Bozeman to Butte, from their we headed north Helna and Great Falls. From there we went up 87 to highway 2, thru Glazier national park, and on in to Saskatchewan, Canada!

On a different trip I crossed that Continental Divide around the 10th of July. It was snowing and we pulled off and had a snowball fight in July!!

So guess I didn't recognize the name Great Falls until I looked it up on the map!!

You have some beautiful country out there!! :cool:

Last edited: