Jake Engler hammers one out

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
I was privledged last week with a two day visit from Jacob Engler of Houston Texas. Jake is a professional ferrier and has the best hammer control I had ever witnessed. He is renowned in his field and shoes horses from working horses, Race Horses to Clydesdales. Next month he is leaving for Japan to demonstrate his skills to a ferrier club there.

Jake came here to learn knife some making skills. He has made a handfull of knives from mostly stock removal methods and just wanted some tips on guards and handles mostly. After looking at his truck and inspecting some of the specialized tongs he forged I quickly decided stock removal isnt living up to his potential. Jake is born to forge knives to shape.

We talked about styles that he could call his own and we drew some pictures of forged knives that take a certain amount of skill with the hammer to pull off. He showed me a couple of small bowies that he forged to shape but I pushed him into a full tang style with a forged in index finger rest. I drew it on paper and Jacob hammered it out.

Here is Jakes fathers truck. Jakes truck is still in Houston.
Notice its all business. I like this belt grinder.

007.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

019.jpg

Last edited:
This pair of tongs was made by jake and handed to me as a gift. Its one of 6 pair he made in the same day. He claims they took him 30 minutes to hammer out. Whew! I could make these on my grinder and mill in less than 3 days. :)

017.jpg

016.jpg

Here is a slide show of the knife he forged with my humble guidance. I kept thinking I wish I had those skilled hands. I had this bar of 5160 laying around so we used it.

020.jpg

044.jpg

046.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

053.jpg

055.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

066.jpg

069.jpg

080.jpg

083.jpg

091.jpg

096.jpg

101.jpg

105.jpg

102.jpg

There was some cleanup grinding and back in the forge for a slight tune up on the tapered tang. After heat treating the bevels were ground and polished to 2000 grit and etched quickly in weak ferric cloride. We picked out some nice amber dyed elk slabs for the scales and Jake drilled the tang and pinned them on.

109.jpg

111.jpg

113.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler001-1.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler002.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler006.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler025.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler026.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler027.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler032.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler033.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler041.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler050.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler053.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler056.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler057.jpg

Here the finished knife. I like it. I like it allot. Nice work Jake and thanks for the visit.

mostlyJakeEngler058.jpg

mostlyJakeEngler064.jpg

Wow, great set up he has on that truck and amazing work on the knife! I love the tongs as well. Does he have a website where he sells his tongs?

Wow, great set up he has on that truck and amazing work on the knife! I love the tongs as well. Does he have a website where he sells his tongs?

Hi Murph, I doubt he uses a web site in his farrier business but he might have. He makes all his own tongs and might make you a set. I hope he checks in here, you can ask him. :)

hi there Bruce, just wanted to stop in here and say hello and thank you for having me at the shop. i had a great time and learned a ton, i have not had time to make any more knives since i left, but plan on making a few this weekend. i like forging them out its pretty fun. Bruce i cant thank you enough, ill stop in the next time im in town. if you need some tongs just holler i have a few lying around, and can make any size you like.

Hi Jake, Thanks for stopping in and giving me your first post

It was fun and educational those two days for me too. Feel free to send all excess tongs to my house.hehe
Seriously I bet you could take orders, they,re that nice!

Show us some knives when you get some finished.

Not sure how I missed this one Bruce but dang nice to see another farrier banging out a blade, hope he makes more in the future.

Back