Ivory & Damascus

backtines

I built this one for a guy that was very specific on what he wanted.. He wanted plenty of handle real estate for his scrimshaw project to be added to this knife. This was a first for me in a bunch of different ways . First time I ever worked with Ivory and this is the first time I ever made a knife over 8 " long too. I learned a lot on this build and I know what not to do on the next one.. I want to suggest to the customer to maybe get some engraving done on the bolsters. That was one of the reasons I didnt burry the bolster inside the sheath .. I think it may look cool engraved and showing while in the sheath, but lets see what happens when I suggest it to the customer ..

My logo is in there , just real hard to see . I had to grind down those flats pretty good after an episode I had with a slight warp .. Its a long story. I got it straight in the end but had to loose some depth in the logo .. Ill take it .

Im happy with the way this one came out , lets hope the customer is too.

Big thanks to Randy from HHH Knives for the chunk of Damascus..
Also sending some thanks to Rudy Joly , Josh Dabney and Calvin Robinson and Laurence for their tips on working with Iory and other bumps I was having along the way.

Thanks for looking.

OL 11 3/4 "
HHH Damascus ( not sure of the pattern )
Blade length 6"
Pre Ban Elephant Ivory
416 bolsters and pins
8/9 oz leather

20140403_093140_zps6ac632af.jpg
[/URL]

20140403_093150_zps86c08e90.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
And you were worried ?
It looks great Mike. I'm sure we're all glad to help....anytime. The reward is seeing you succeed and carry it forward.

Rudy

Just as I thought. That one is over the top. Your customer will love it Mikey.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I definitely learned a lot with this build and I know the next one will come out better.. The guy just picked it up and he really really loved it ! That makes it all worth it in the end .

Check out the scrimshaw done to this knife . Amazing !!

My friend brought it by shop today as I was on my way out.. I took a few pics from my cell phone and I had to run.. Awesome work..

20140403_093140_zps6ac632af.jpg
[/URL]

20140403_093150_zps86c08e90.jpg
[/URL]

Back