Is this common? Contact wheel came apart

Discussion in 'Midwest Knifemaker Supply, LLC' started by Paul Mathews, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Paul Mathews

Paul Mathews Well-Known Member

I have a 6" x 2" poly contact wheel that I purchased back in April, 2009. I haven't used it in a couple of years and it sits on a shelf under my workbench. When I went to pull it out today I noticed that it felt sticky/greasy/dirty all at the same time. When I started trying to clean it up I noticed that the hub was loose and then that the wheel (the poly part) was beginning to fall apart.

Is this common for these types of wheels? It does sit in my shop which is not climate controlled but I haven't had any problem with either the 10' or 2" poly wheels that I have purchased over the years.

IMG_1034.JPG IMG_1035.JPG

2. BossDog

BossDog KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner

I have never seen that before on a wheel that size. I have seen it on a couple of the small wheels. This happens when they get too hot and the epoxy bonding the poly to the metal wheel melts.

3. Paul Mathews

Paul Mathews Well-Known Member

Well, it does get pretty hot here in Louisiana during the summers. I guess I need to move my other 2 and 4 inch wheels indoors until Halloween when it starts to cool off around here.

I assume I can reuse the hub. Where can I find a replacement for the poly?

Does this ever happen with the rubber clad wheels?

Thanks for your response, Tracey!

4. BossDog

BossDog KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner

Usually, the hubs can be re-covered. Contac Rubber Corp (CRC) does it in vulcanized rubber. I'm not sure if Sun Ray Inc (poly cover) will do a one wheel re-cover or not. It's not cheap.
    I've seen the same thing on rubber wheels also but not as often.