Is it possible to true up rubber contact wheels?

A.W.Stovall

I have a 12" contact wheel and I was wondering if they ever get out of being flat? can you true them up.
Thanks Anthony

The most common reason a contact wheel gets "out of flat" is because people will leave a belt on the machine, with tension on it. (If you're not using the grinder, take the belt tension off!) This will often cause a "flat spot" on the wheel. Corners also get rounded just from day to day use. Although there are many different ways a person can TRY to true up a contact wheel....you'll be money and time ahead if you take it to a good machine shop and have them do it.

Like Ed says, a good machine shop can do it. My friend Lon did one for me and put it in the freezer overnight first so the rubber would be very stiff and easier to cut.

If you don't have a local machinist shop there is www.contactrubber.com It been awhile but I beleive they true up contact wheels as well.

Ed is right about belt tension giving a flat spot. That's the last thing I double check in my shop close up ritual before turning off the lights.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back