Inclusions or carbides in 154 CM????

Jeff Conti

I just unwrapped a .125 x 1.5 x 18 piece of 154CM, laid out my knife, sat down at the band saw and while cutting through it found my blade unable to proceed forward (like it had run up against something super hard) and then it pushed through (cutting normally again). This happened about 4 times. On the 5th time my blade snapped.

This is a first for me. Any advise. Is this common? Should I send it back to Jantz? I did send them an email. I still have to finish cutting out this knife and then another from the same bar. I suspect my sander is going to have problems too.

It's possible that you found some large carbide formations. One of the advantages of cpm154 over 154cm (and cpm steels over mill run in general) is very fine and evenly distributed carbides.
If I remember right, both 154cm and ats-34 have had histories of inclusions and/or impurities at one time or another.

I had a piece about six months ago act the same way, it was 154CM, thankfully it was a small piece. It was like hitting a brick wall and I had to replace the bi-metal blade that was on my saw. It made it's way to the landfill, along with a couple of other small pieces. Now I use CPM154 most of the time.

Justin nailed it. CPM-154 is worth every penny (and it's not really much more than most other steels to begin with). Other than testing a piece for another maker who recently had similar issues with it, I wouldn't use 154CM if it was free... wayyy too many people have had problems with it.

EDIT: Incidentally if you get a chance to try Carpenter's CTS-XHP, go for it. It's great stuff and stands shoulder-to-shoulder with CPM-154 for quality and performance.

Last edited:
Back