I'm looking for a horizontal grinder.

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
I recently saw a horizontal grinder in Bill Ruple's shop, he told me that the man who made it didn't make them any more and he only made a few of them. I dont remember the name of the man but I would realy like to have one of these grinders if I could find one for sale. This grinder used 72" belts, it had a flat platen and 2 small wheels one to the left of the platen and one to the right. This grinder is a slipjoint makers dream, if any one has one or where to get one I shure would appreciate the info on it.

Thanks, but that is not what I'm looking for, it has only one small wheel location and I want two so I dont have to change wheels, the one I'm looking for has a flat platen and two small wheels, one to the left of the platen and one to the right. I'm sure the one I'm looking for is not commercialy available any more so I'm looking for a used one.

Thanks, but that is not what I'm looking for, it has only one small wheel location and I want two so I dont have to change wheels, the one I'm looking for has a flat platen and two small wheels, one to the left of the platen and one to the right. I'm sure the one I'm looking for is not commercialy available any more so I'm looking for a used one.
The wheels on the KMG change really quick. The only draw back is they only go up to 2".

I'm pretty sure Tom is making those now. I don't have any idea how long the wait is. Call him if that is the one you want.
-John

Mine was made by John LeBlonc(not sure about last name spelling) Got it about 6yrs ago. Absolutly a folder makers dream machine.
I believe that's where Tom got the plans and the O.K. to start building the machines again. Heck I'd like to have a couple more. I better get myself on the list.

That's an extremely slick setup -- near instant changeover between four small wheels plus a flat platen. Saving this for future reference.

I told ya'll I was gonna build my own.

Pictures of the horizontal edge grinder I built.

Last edited:
Pictures of the horizontal edge grinder I built.

I like it! You've got the "90 degree" turn at the larger small wheel, where that won't really be a limiting factor and a decent angle at the smaller small wheel, so you can utilize it better.

One thing I've been considering is making each of the rest tables be a different height, so each "station" is utilizing a different strip of the belt. Of course, fiddling with your tracking can help spread out the wear so you're not using only a thin strip of the belt, but I'm just saying. Actually, looking at it again, I just realized that the one shown above ( http://www.knifedogs.com/showpost.php?p=45296&postcount=5 ) does exactly that.

Last edited:
On mine you can adjust the tracking up and down to use all of the belt. Another thing you can do is split the belts and get more use out of them that way.

Back