I need some help I bought this Dmascus about 4-5 yrs ago from someone ?

A.W.Stovall

I cant remember who I was just starting out and decided to wait till I was less likely to destroy it now I'm ready to use it and I'm not sure what it is if nobody can I.D. it then I'll treat it like 1095 - 15n20 here are some pics the writing on the back was from the seller maybe that can help I.D its say's "A B 20" or " AEB 20" SKINNER.
Thanks Anthony

Attachments

• DSCF1716 (640x361).jpg
    DSCF1716 (640x361).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF1719 (640x361).jpg
    DSCF1719 (640x361).jpg
    25 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF1718 (640x361).jpg
    DSCF1718 (640x361).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 46
I have no idea who made it but it has a great and interesting pattern to it.

I myself would follow your 1095 12/20 HT and see how it comes out? Finish it enough to test it with the brass rod test & and listen how a file sings on it before you etch and do the final finish and handle etc.. The nice thing is you can normalize and HT it again until you get the desired hardness.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I have a hardness tester Just wasnt sure if it could be treated multiplte times. And I was hoping someone would might have sold it to me would reckognize it but not sure where or when .
Thanks Anthony

A.W Dont use it looks like crap throw it in Santa s sleigh as he comes through Ill figure it out lmao . Merry xmas anthony . Kellyw

Anthony looks like the writing says 1084/15n20 heat treat it like normal high carbon damascus. I have been doing double temper at 410 2time 2 hours comes out nice and hard. I just use a magnet knothin fancy. Nice hunck a steel by the way. Kellyw

A.W.
I think you have some damascus from (ROBERT EGGERLING) go to his web site and scroll thru.
The other maker I can think of would be (chad nichols). hope this help.
John s.

It looks like Bob Eggerling but it is not. Is is by Larry Donnelly who was a student of Bob. Heat treat like high carbon steel. 1500 for 10 min soak and oil quench.

Back