i need a heat treater?


Well-Known Member
I need some one who heat treats knives to heat treat a piece of steel for me. I bought some 154cm steel for a real good price a couple years back and I just want to confirm it is 154 cm steel. I just want to send someone a piece to heat treat so I know it is good steel before I spend too much time grinding blades.


Well-Known Member
Since you've not got a response yet I'll take a stab at it. Let's see if I've got this straight - you've got a steel you "think" might be 154CM and you want somebody to HT it to see? I don't think that's how it works. I think you have to know what steel it is before you can do a decent job of HT'ing, especially for stainless steels. The usual HT for 154CM would be to hold in the 1900F to 2,000F range for 30 minutes or so, then plate quench. You could do that for most any SS allow and it would be "hard" but still wouldn't tell you what steel it really is, nor would be correct HT for most of them.

Does it have any markings on it from ventor? No tags? Sounds like it might be rated as "practice grinding" steel?
Last edited: