I Did a bad thing!!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
How many times can you shoot it before you have to refill the air pressure?
I was testing that exact thing yesterday.....On this Marauder, I get 35-36 shots before the POI (Point of Impact) starts falling at all. I don't own a chronograph, but suspect with these type of guns, it only takes a 25-30 fps drop in muzzle velocity to start seeing a noticeable drop in the POI. The tank on this gun is 105cc, with a 3000psi max. So far, that 35-36 shots takes the psi down to just a tad under 2000.... so it's not that much to push the pressure back up to 3000psi.
I'm going to do my best to resist the temptation to modify this gun.... I can see that being a major rabbit hole of parts and money. That being said, I have seen a number of aftermarket parts and modifications that claim they can nearly double that shot count and/or offer more velocity/power. As of right now, based on the accuracy and shootability of this gun, I don't think it needs anything done to it.... unless you plan on shooting competitions with it.

cdent

Got back out again for a little bit yesterday, walked a smallish field. Watched a young badger laugh at me while we were setting up. Not many out, but it's fun to be there, practiced doping the wind, got a few. Today it's a howling!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Got back out again for a little bit yesterday, walked a smallish field. Watched a young badger laugh at me while we were setting up. Not many out, but it's fun to be there, practiced doping the wind, got a few. Today it's a howling!
I bet it's horrible up there in Havre.... because it's hitting 50-60mph in Great Falls! And.....supposed to be lots of sloppy snow heading in!

KenH

Ed, did your compressor come with the fitting to connect directly to the Benjamin Marauder? My compressor should be here Thursday and I'm wondering what I'll need to get air into the Benjamin Marauder I've got. I'd also like to fill my scuba tanks but will wait to see what I need for that.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Ed, did your compressor come with the fitting to connect directly to the Benjamin Marauder? My compressor should be here Thursday and I'm wondering what I'll need to get air into the Benjamin Marauder I've got. I'd also like to fill my scuba tanks but will wait to see what I need for that.
If you ordered the Yong Heng, it comes with what you need.

tkroenlein

I really like what those Marauders are doing, but it's just a bit north of what I'm willing to spend just yet, though they are really reasonably priced when you consider the whole of the PCP market.

I did just about two weeks ago order a Hatsan 105X (under lever gas piston) in 25 caliber that's due end of April.

KenH

I've heard some about those gas piston types - how much cocking effort is required? I know some of those Springers can require a good bit of cocking effort.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
If it helps any, I kept having accuracy issues with my SIG ASP20 (gas piston gun).... First.... you have to learn a whole new way of shooting, because just about anything other then the "artillary hold" is not accurate. The "issue" that I have with my SIG, is...... it seems like the gun has to "warm up" before it's accurate. EVERY time I shoot, the gun can be dead on zeroed when I finish a session.... then the next time I shoot it, I have 3-4 wild shots, before it settles down and hits it's Point of aim. Now, there is a possibility that it COULD be me, but it has been doing that from the beginning of me shooting it.

The SIG is a "break barrel" cocking, and it takes some strength to cock it. After about 20 shots in succession, I feel it in my shoulder and upper back.

I was hesitant to go the PCP because of the cost of "accessories" such as the compressor (my body/lungs will not let me use a hand pump) but finally caved in because of all the accuracy claims I'd heard/read about..... and now that I own the Marauder, it's true. I think I said it before....this gun is capable of more accuracy than I am. Now that I have the PCP gun and the compressor, I'd be happy to sell the SIG...... there is that much difference.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
I really like what those Marauders are doing, but it's just a bit north of what I'm willing to spend just yet, though they are really reasonably priced when you consider the whole of the PCP market.

I did just about two weeks ago order a Hatsan 105X (under lever gas piston) in 25 caliber that's due end of April.
Check out the Diana Stormrider. I have two of them in .22 cal and I have had no trouble with either one and I have had them over two years. The .177 is a little louder (breaks sound barrier) but it is cheaper than even the .22.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
I was seriously looking at the StormRider. It's far less expensive then the Marauder. The only reason I didn't go for it, was because during my research I got in contact with a fella by the Name of Steven Archer. He has a company "Archer Airguns", and runs an online publication called Hardair Magazine. He's a super nice/helpful guy, and I learned a ton in just a short conversation with him. Anyway, he told me that the Maurader was arguable the best overall air gun in it's price range...... and what sold me on it.... the QUIETEST airgun on the market. He was right, The first few shots were hard to get used to, because the sound was so absent....thought I was shooting a toy. :)

I purchase mine from Pyramid Air. I really like their sight, because of the detailed information on each gun, that is laid out in a very easy to look at/consume manner. In fact, I just ordered 2 more mags for the gun. Another reason I like them is if you have the "Honey" or "Slick Deals" browser extensions, those look up coupon codes for wherever your checking out of online. In my case, using those saved me $86 and change on my total order of the Marauder Syrod combo.

I'm thinking up ways to keep that little compressor cool.... such as cutting up and old "A" coil from my central air unit, then splitting the copper tubing that has the air fins attached..... and using thermal conducting tape to put them on the output airline of the compressor. On mine, with about 5 second on it running, the output like to the airblock (where the feed hose attaches) is too hot to touch. The compressor is water cooled anyway, but man do those little SS output tubes heat up... but then again, I've never worked with a compressor that will output 4500psi.... and from what I'm told....the heat is pretty much normal.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
Every time a friend sees me shooting seven rounds through a bolt action pellet rifle, then changing mags and doing it again without pumping anything there is that moment when they are thinking "I need one of those". The mags are so small you could carry seven or eight in your pocket and not really notice it. I am not sure if the Benjamin has it or not but the Diana also comes with a magnetic feed ramp you can put in the gun which makes it single shot. That is how the boy chooses to shoot his, I go with the mags.