I’m okay but here are two things to avoid.

Mark Barone

Well-Known Member
As I was going to my garage shop, My wife said Be Careful. I said , I will, I wear eye protection and a mask. So number one. Don’t hang porta saw belts or anything else near your belt grinder. One of my belts broke ..whipped up..grabbed one of the hanging saw blades and subsequently whipped my face with it. It knocked my goggles off. The noise was loud, Ann Marie didn’t hear it and I walked back into the house as if nothing happened .

The second one. This was my fault and not shop related. Yesterday I started the grill without opening it up. I like to get it up to about 500 degrees to sear my meat. Little did I know.. but my wife had stored things in there to keep from getting wet.. spatula, grill cleaning brush and one of those long butane lighters. Yup. So then I was so happy to open up the grill and throw my dry rubbed pork chop on it. When I opened it I was like .. what the? All I saw was a big blob of melted plastic and a small fire. Then BOOM. Sounded like a cherry bomb The lighter blew up in my face. Shards of plastic burned my arms and portion of my face . Some of my hair burned off. My regular glasses protected my eyes.D579B107-9C74-4575-99CA-6B791A8BEA38.jpeg
 

Sean Jones

Well-Known Member
I had a belt break on me the other day. Luckily the only thing it did was flap against the water bucket next to the grinder. But I think I will clear some more space around the grinder just to be safer.

And on the BBQ. Had something similar happen. My wife stores her CPAP appliances in the oven when she's not using it. We have cats and they will play with the parts if they are left out.

You guessed it. Wife or me (don't remember who) turned on the oven without checking and nothing but a blob of melted plastic when we opened the door. Luckily her medical insurance covered it or it would have been expensive to replace.
 

opaul

Well-Known Member
Thank you. A reminder to always know that Mr Murphy is alive and well.
I did some human performance work before I retired. It’s the skilled repetition tasks that almost always go Wrong. Rather than thinking we just do it.
 

Mark Barone

Well-Known Member
I had a belt break on me the other day. Luckily the only thing it did was flap against the water bucket next to the grinder. But I think I will clear some more space around the grinder just to be safer.

And on the BBQ. Had something similar happen. My wife stores her CPAP appliances in the oven when she's not using it. We have cats and they will play with the parts if they are left out.

You guessed it. Wife or me (don't remember who) turned on the oven without checking and nothing but a blob of melted plastic when we opened the door. Luckily her medical insurance covered it or it would have been expensive to replace.
Ok you made me feel a bit better. That is one strange place to store Cpap things. At least they are not explosive.
 

chrisstaniar

Well-Known Member
My favorite thing is when a belt comes off the grinder. Usually because I'm pushing too hard and it takes off across the room like a spinning tire. I'm usually quick enough to get out of the way but I've been clipped a couple times. The higher grit belts aren't a big deal, but the dang 36 grit belts take a bite out.
 

jaxxas

Well-Known Member
Glad you are okay!

Seems there are accidents waiting to happen most everywhere...

A few years back I was uncoiling a band saw blade when it snapped open and tattooed a cool 18 TPI stitch across my nose. An inch higher and it would have been my eyes!
 

John Wilson

Well-Known Member
my wife is big on storing things in the oven, too. I cooked the handle off a frying pan by preheating the oven without looking in there first.

Glad you’re okay!
 

Mark Barone

Well-Known Member
It’s good once in a while to talk about these things. Like someone said before. It comes mostly comes down to having a clear workspace, not rushing and protection.
 

KentuckyFisherman

Active Member
As a kid, I wasn't particularly wise, but I was lucky to have my dad and two nearby grandfathers who were constantly trying to teach me good life lessons. At some point, Dad was talking me through some point involving safety and I looked at him and said, "Y'know, Dad, you've gotta be thinking all the time." For years and years afterward, any time one of us would screw something up or survive an accident that could have been bad, we'd tell the story to the other and end it with "Yeah, you've gotta be thinking all the time."

Really glad you got off easy on these mishaps.
 
Top