Hunter with Redwood Burl

opaul

Hey guys! Just finished this one up and working on another just like it for a custom Christmas order. It's 7" OAL with a 3.25" blade. 01 tool steel hand rubbed to 400 grit.

You are starting to figure this knife making thing out. Each and every knife that you finish is getting better and better.

I still do not see a maker's mark. Think about it and get one.

Keep grinding!

Thanks Dennis! I appreciate you taking the time to post a reply.!
I've got the etching kit for my makers mark. Hopefully I can start adding the mark this weekend

Thanks Dennis! I appreciate you taking the time to post a reply.!
I've got the etching kit for my makers mark. Hopefully I can start adding the mark this weekend

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing your mark.

I like following the new guys. They are always full of energy and usually questions.

I hope that when I retire I can crank out knives like you seem to have accustomed yourself.

I'm afraid I get carried away :). I've had to make myself slow down and enjoy other aspects of the day.
I just finished gluing up the second companion hunter with redwood burl as well. The two knives will be similar but there will be subtle differences between the two. They are to be gifts for a father and a son.

I agree with Dennis. Each knife improves by huge leaps. This one is absolutely beautiful. Your grinds don't even look like the same guy did them, and it's only been one week!

Beautiful knives. I really like the redwood handles. You are starting to refine your skills and your product is improving on each knife that your make.

However, those knives are not quite twins. I can see a subtle difference in the two.

One thing about the new makers is that they are not stuck in the same old thing. Because, they do not have a same old thing. Everything is new to them. They have not made enough knives to have developed a style and a way of doing things. I think that you can see the creative design aspect in a new maker better than an older maker. A new maker has a free mind to do things that work for them.

The reason I mention that point is the position of the thong tube in the top knife. I can honestly say, I have never seen that before. In front of the back pin. Low on the handle and forward a bit. Very interesting. I am not criticizing your work. Just pointing it out because I have a question for you.

I would like to know why you chose to put it there?? Inquiring minds need to know these things.

Hey Dennis, yep I should have said "not identical twins".
Basically I like to incorporate subtle differences in each blade. Since these are going to be going to two different people in a household I wanted them to be similar but related, like family.
I have also not seen the lanyard in front of the back pin, that's one reason I wanted to put it there. As far as style goes, I like to start out with a design in mind but incorporate changes during the build. It would have been pretty straight forward to drill the hole in the identical spot in the second blade but decided to do it differently.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to look at my work and offer comments and suggests and most of all questions! Without that feedback I'll be stuck in beginner class for ever!!

I have been making knives for about five (5) years now. I am still stuck in beginner class! I'm not sure that you ever pass that class and get to leave.

When I first started making knives. I made them all one of a kind. One at a time. One design, one knife. It took a long time for me to make that one knife.

After I made a few knives, I started making the same knife design and attempted to finish them differently. Perhaps, one with a wood handle and one with a bone handle. Or one with a front bolster and one without a bolster. This method made it much faster to make several knives. Obviously you get a similar knife. Not an exact knife - if there is such a thing.

At one point, I made 17 similar knives for my nieces and nephews. Same knife design, they picked the scales. Some had bolsters. Some had liners, Most chose G-10 in a variety of color combinations. It took me about a year to finish all of them and the sheaths. I would still be trying to finish up if I made them all a one-off.

Looking at your pair, I just had to ask if that was your thought process. Making two similar knives is way faster than making two one-offs.

Good thinking.

Keep grinding.

Paul,

They are coming along nicely. Nice grinds and the handle shapes are user friendly.

Redwood burl is one of those woods that benefits from being burnished, it makes the burl pop. I use the edge of 10-12 oz stiff leather. Press hard and use a scrubbing motion.

Regards, Fred

Back